TRExp

TR2 & TR3 Forum

What did you do with your TR2/TR3 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

DEW Avatar
DEW Silver Member Dennis White
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada   CAN
I thought I would try a vinyl wrap on my tired paint job.
After doing body work, (which needs to be close to paint quality as the wrap does not hide much) it took me about 20 hours to wrap with some mistakes as I learned how to do the curves properly.
I'm very happy with how it turned out. Much cheaper than paint ($300.00) and easier to change colors or repair damage.
Before and after pictures.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0717.JPG    111.7 KB
IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_1199.JPG    68.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1204.JPG    64.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
cdozois Avatar
cdozois Platinum Member Craig Dozois
Englewood, Florida, USA   USA
Hello Dennis, Question . . . Does the wrap require any special preventative maintenance?
Craig

TR3Alex Alexander Boon
Waddinxveen, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Hi Dennis, you've done a very nice job! I'm a professional signmaker, in Holland, wow, very cool!
Alexander

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DEW Avatar
DEW Silver Member Dennis White
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada   CAN
Hello Dennis, Question . . . Does the wrap require any special preventative maintenance?
Craig
You need to coat the edges with a seam sealer available from 3M. This prevents lifting over time.
Because this is a Matte/satin vinyl, you can't wash it with most normal car soaps as they have waxes or things that will take away from the matte look. If you installed a gloss vinyl you could use most any product. This vinyl came from VVIVID VINYL Canada and they sell all the maintenance products. So basically it will scratch easier than clear coated paint and needs a special soap to keep clean. If you damage a piece just replace the one piece. I purchased a 40'X5' roll and it will do the car 1.5 times so I have lots to spare. I also wrapped the arm rests on the doors if you look closely. this worked fantastic. This product could be used on all the interior vinyl parts except the seats easily and much cheaper than what you normally buy in kits.

TR3barton Avatar
TR3barton John Taylor
Greenfield, MA, USA   USA
Listers,

Completed the R&R of an O/D gearbox in my TR3. I fitted a TR4 O/D box which is about 1" longer and requires some
mods to the rear mount.

I installed the rear mount on the box and with the frame cross plate bolted in place a bit of cardboard was laid in place and the box lowered on it thus marking the spot for drilling the holes.

After drilling fresh holes you will find the frame "wedge" will hit the rubber mount. Simply turn the frame member over.

The box is in and working.

PLAY-DOH Avatar
PLAY-DOH PLAY-DOH .
Hickory, NC, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A "Red Head"
Drove to Blowing Rock for lunch with my wife. A nice day in the Carolinas!

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Changed over to DOT 5

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Trusty Paul Monette
Bad Homburg, Hessen, Germany   DEU
I bet someone can explain why the body mounting bracket rusts the way it does. On my Tr 3 three body mounts were perfect. The fourth, near the driver had two perfect mounting holes and a third hole rusted through. Like Joe Oteros.

Paul

MGB777 Avatar
MGB777 Tim Smith
Oregon, Illinois, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "The "Abbey"
1960 Triumph TR3A "Patch's"
1975 MG Midget 1500 "Little Bro"
1977 MG MGB "Big Brother"    & more
Waiting on the windows ,, siding and doors for the new car parlor ..... so I went for an ice cream ride

Attachments:
IMG_5892.JPG    45.3 KB
IMG_5892.JPG

Ken1945 Ken L
Brockville, Ontario, Canada   CAN
I removed the cowl and rad as well as one front spring to measure bump steer on my stock TR3 in preparation of fitting rack and pinion steering.

Attachments:
IMG_0952.JPG    39.7 KB
IMG_0952.JPG

TR3barton Avatar
TR3barton John Taylor
Greenfield, MA, USA   USA
Hey,

Looks like a good setup. How much does a 3 spindle move verticle in reasonable driving?

cdozois Avatar
cdozois Platinum Member Craig Dozois
Englewood, Florida, USA   USA
Hey Ken. Please keep us informed. I'd love to know what you're installing, where you purchased it, etc. I've read some horror stories about these conversations. Look forward to your posts.
Craig from Florida

Ken1945 Ken L
Hi John,

I know TR suspension are stiff but not that stiff.

Every time you corner one spindle goes up and one goes down relative to the car going in a straight line. Also when you brake hard the front of the car nose dives therefore the springs are compressed and the spindles rise from their at rest position.

I don't know what the roads are like where you live but up here we have lots of bumps and pot holes to work the suspension as well.

As you can see there are lots of opportunity for the spindles to move relative to their at rest position.

All the Best, Ken

Ken1945 Ken L
Hi Craig,

I am not buying a kit.

I am doing it myself using a used TR7 rack and lower steering column.

If I look at the kits out there they typically run around $800 with another $400 for an electric fan kit and then there is the turn signal conversion for another $150. I have heard of some people spending over $3,000 when you throw in the labour.

I believe I will do the whole thing for under $400 US and retain my original horn and turn signal switches at the steering wheel using a slip ring unit I have built. Only time will tell?

I did a similar conversion on my Jaguar Mark II sedan going from a manual steering box to a power rack and pinion from a Jag XJ6 and I am very please with the results.

I will post something when it is complete, right know I have a post up asking if any one out there has measured the bump steer of a stock TR3 to compare with the results I will get next week.

All the best Ken

JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
Lexington, Kentucky, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR3B
1968 Triumph GT6 MkI "Cali"
1972 TVR Vixen
Very nice Tim.. congrats... Looks like you can get 4 LBCs in there..

Cheers
Joe O

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster