AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SeattleAuthor Avatar
SeattleAuthor Kurt Giambastiani
Seattle, Washington, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B "Pepper"
Hi, all...I'm new to both the TR3 and the forums here. I searched old topics but didn't find the information I'm looking for.

I just purchased a TR3B and, whilst it's in the shop having all the "needful things" fixed, I'm looking into the smaller projects that can ease me back into the Triumph world. One of them is prepping the soft-top and side-curtains.

I've looked high and low, and can't find any specific information on how to install the side curtains. Is there any how-to article or write-up that the group can point me toward?

The car lived in Hawaii before it came to me here in Seattle, so the brackets have never been set up. I have the Dzus brackets (though I may replace them) and new bolts, etc.
What isn't clear to me is the fit. Do you remove the door rail/pad before the side curtains go on? It seems a really tight fit (and looks like it'll damage the door panel leather) when it goes on. Is there a preferred method for positioning the Dzus brackets? (The panels haven't been drilled for them.) I've considered buying a spare set of panels, for use with the side curtains.

Any pointers, links, or guidance would be appreciated. I've learned a good bit about restoration, etc., from past posts, but what I need is newbie how-to info.

Kurt

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jacad Avatar
Jacad Gold Member Barry Shefner
Montreal, QC, Canada   CAN
1959 Triumph TR3A "Loose Wheels"
1976 Triumph TR6 "The Tweetster"
Kurt,

Installing or removing the sidecurtains are very easy and there is no need to remove the door rail to adjust them. For fitting the best would be to put the top up and then fit each one individually so that with the door closed the front edge of the sidecurtain lines up tight with the window stanchion and also install at a height so that the soft top can be worked over the top edge of the sidecurtain so as to make a good weather seal. (As good as it can be expected) Once everything is lined up, tighten the 4 screws of each bracket. The screws that hold the brackets onto the doors are driven into a piece of hardwood located behind the panel and these tend to strip over time. You can drill the holes out and install screw plugs or better yet make up 4 squares of 1/8 steel plate and drill & tap 4 10-32 holes and replace the 4 wood screws on each bracket with threaded screws and attach these mounting plates behind the door panel.

Here is the description on how to uninstall from the Practical hints for the TR3. Just do it in reverse to install.

SOFT TOP MAINTENANCE
The top should be washed with the same regularity as the rest of the car.
With the exception of warm water and non-caustic soap, the use of all cleansing agents, detergents and wax polishes must be avoided.
Never leave the top folded when it is wet or damp.
Occasionally oil the hinge points of the hood sticks (support frame) with engine oil, work the moving parts, and wipe all surplus oil away.
Removal and Stowage of Side Screens
The key provided for opening the bonnet also releases the special catches which secure the side screens to the door panel.
Release the fastener securing the short strap on the centre of the screen to the door.
Turn the key in an anti-clockwise direction to release the catches and lift the screen clear of the door. The side screens may be completely removed from the car or stowed away in the luggage locker.

Barry
59 TR3A 0TS57675LO - "Loose Wheels"
76 TR6 CF54266U - "The Tweetster"
Website: Triumph TR2-TR3-TR4 www.trtriumph.com/ (sorry for not keeping it current for the past couple of years)

slickfix Avatar
slickfix Greg G
Osseo, Minnesota, USA   USA
The side curtain sockets are attatched by four #10 x 1 1/4 long, round head, wood screws. For originality these should be with slotted heads. You need a front and rear bracket for each door (they are different). Begin with the brackets attached to the side curtains and with the top in place and the doors closed. Hold the side curtain in position so the front side nicely fits the windshield stanchion. Double check that the top edge will fit the flap in the top material. There are four holes in each bracket. Install the brackets using the slotted holes first. This will give you some adjustment room before adding the screws to the plain holes.
All you can do with the brackets is to get the side curtains to "fill" the opening. The side curtain arms need to be "bent to fit" in order to get the top edge to meet the windshield stanchion. WARNING: the side curtain frames are much weaker than the mounting arms. A slight pressure on the windshield stanchion is what you want. A gap will let the rain in. Too tight will make it hard to close the doors.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jacad Avatar
Some further reference............

Note in the last picture one of the square back plates which I made up and tapped to accept 10-32 slotted round head screws.

Barry
Website: Triumph TR2-TR3-TR4 www.trtriumph.com/ (sorry for not keeping it current for the past couple of years)

Attachments:
IMGP0028.JPG    42.7 KB
IMGP0028.JPG

IMGP0024.JPG    39.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMGP0096.JPG    22 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
SeattleAuthor Avatar
Wonderful info, all, especially the photos (I would have set up the brackets incorrectly, but seeing them in place makes it all clear).

I'll need to get the soft-top set up and ready before I set those brackets. I purchased it with hardtop, and am still waiting on some parts to get the soft-top all ready to go.

Thanks much!

k

mimssandi Avatar
mimssandi Roger & Sandra Hobart
Mims, Fla, USA   USA
As good as side curtains work for keeping out the rain, just buy a good set of slickers and carry several towels and dry socks and shoes in the car.

SeattleAuthor Avatar
Two additional questions:

Has anyone replaced the fixed window portion of the side-curtain? One of mine is cracked and I'd like to replace it, but the leading edge is sewn into the frame. I could punch and hand-sew it; I believe that would be strong enough. Am I wrong?

The later model curtains have that strap with a snap on it, but to what does it attach? I haven't seen pictures of side curtains installed on a TR3B, so I'm not sure what that's supposed to match with. Some photos look like it snaps to the bracket, but my brackets have nothing on which they might connect. What is that?

I appreciate the hive-mind patience with a TR3-newbie.

Kurt

DEF34 Dave F
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I have just completed the side curtain installation. When bought the car had no side curtains and no holes in the side door panels. Remove the door panels and you should see the screw holes in the wood. Use these holes as your template. They will match the screw hole pattern on the bracket. I did a rough fit with the Dzus brakets without panels in place to confirm fitting to top of door and windshield frame. I was not happy with the new dzus mountings as the screws would not engage the wire. Needed to bend wires on Dzus frame to catch the dzus screw. Hope this helps. Maybe see you at the ABFM in Portland next labor Day. Dave

SeattleAuthor Avatar
Thanks, Dave. The car is coming home from the shop next week...we had a LOT of work to do on it...and I was going to take a peek behind the door panels. I purchased new brackets and Dzus bolts, and the ones that came with the car were quite old and it didn't have all the bolts, anyway. I hope to find drilled holes behind the panel.

I really like Barry's idea of installing tapped steel plates, but that will have to wait a bit. First, though, get the damned thing home, then see if the hood that came with the car is serviceable and get _that_ installed. Then fit the side curtains.

The snap-strap still confuses me, as I don't see a male part of the snap on any of the parts websites. Maybe it'll be clear once I get the car home. We only had it for a couple days before I put her into the shop.

Shortbird Avatar
Shortbird Joe Alexander
Jesup, Iowa, USA   USA
Interested in this topic. I am going to install my original GT hardtop and fit the side curtains using the hardtop as a guide. Then I hope that this will establish the location of the side curtain against the Dzus fastener mounting blocks. I could easily do the taping plate method that Barry suggests. This should allow me to shim as required. I hope this works as I believe bending the frame can lead to disaster.

More posts will read diligently. I want to do this once.

Attachments:
image.jpg    29.3 KB
image.jpg

Jim N TR3B Jim Nowicke
St. Louis, MO, USA   USA
Barry -
I am embarking on the same side curtain bracket installation you describe.
Three questions for you:
1) The brackets I bought from Moss seem to project the spring to the rear of the brackets beyond the brackets edge. Do they just dig in to the door panel or do I need to cut out some of the panel to allow for a proper fit?
2) Who offers the correct door panel snap fitting for the strap on the side curtain?
3) Are your plates with the tapped holes screwed into the wood blocks and do the plates push the door liner out into the interior of the car to any degree?
Thank you.
Jim

Jacad Avatar
Jim,

1) My brackets are likely originals (came with the car which had been sitting for already 20 odd years back in 1994) which I had chromed (normally the TR3A side curtain brackets are painted in "hammerite" Grey I believe) so what is supplied today may be quite different. On mine the springs do not project past the side edge of the bracket
2) If memory serves I believe I used a standard lift-the-dot male snap on the door panel but if you want to be certain, contact TRF and they will tell you what to use.
3) The plates are screwed into the wood with 4 x #12 (I think) wood screws. The plate adds 1/8" thickness but it's not enough to make the door panel project significantly inward toward the interior or interfere with the door capping. I suppose that if you don't trust the 60 year old wood you could remove some or all of the door wood, make the plate larger and perhaps thicker and rivet the plate behind the doors inner sheet metal.

The main thing is you want the brackets to remain secure over time so that you aren't having to constantly re-tighten them. Of course I know a few old timers who claim to have never even bothered to install their side curtains even in gale force storms so for them the brackets are mere decorationssmiling smiley

Barry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-20 10:57 AM by Jacad.

davem Avatar
davem dave m
victoria bc, vancouver island, Canada   CAN
nice idea from barry with the brackets -especially with pics!

CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
In reply to # 1492841 by davem nice idea from barry with the brackets -especially with pics!

Why do need the plates? Is it to compensate for rotted mounting blocks?

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

davem Avatar
davem dave m
victoria bc, vancouver island, Canada   CAN
yup
-i have had some where the wood had been screwed into so many times that even wood plugs wouldn't help
-this is a great fix

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links