TR3A Tires

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
In reply to # 1228686 by redoakboo How do you like your Kumbo Ecstas's? I have a 57 TR-3 with chrome spoke wheels. It has Michelin XZX 165 SR 15's that must be 15 years old; lots of dry rot cracks.
Haven't had a chance to try them yet. I really should, as the old Potenzas are getting bald, but just haven't gotten there.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
redoakboo Dick Vinal
Clermont, , FL, USA   USA
1957 Triumph TR3 "Ruby"
I have Protenza's on my Boxster, aren't they made by Bridgestone? Didn't know they made a 165SR 15? I'm looking at a Firestone F560 @ $80/ea thru Coker.

Dick

Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
south bend, IN., USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "My First Triumph"
1962 Triumph TR4 "Big Red"
1964 Triumph TR4 "Ugly Duckling"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV    & more
I guess Firestone is Bridgestone now a days,right? Japanese bought them a few years back I believe. Not too many true American companies left in the tire business.

Sometimes you succeed,other times you learn.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Bridgestone owns Firestone, but I believe Firestone is still a separate subsidiary. Firestone was in serious trouble at the time, and probably would have gone under without the help. Anyone remember the Firestone 500 scandal? Some 8 million tires recalled, all sorts of lawsuits and the largest fine ever imposed by the NHTSA (at that time, there have been bigger ones since then) because Firestone tried to cover up and claim that the users were at fault rather than the tires. I sure wasn't going to buy a Firestone tire then, or a car that was wearing them!

Part of the merger deal was that Bridgestone had to leave all of the US operations in place, so they promptly got into another scandal with defective tires. Hundreds of deaths and thousands of serious injuries blamed on Firestone tires installed as original equipment on Ford Explorers. (My personal opinion is that Ford was more at fault than Firestone/Bridgestone, but the tire company got most of the blame.)

Randall

TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 1228733 by redoakboo I have Protenza's on my Boxster, aren't they made by Bridgestone? Didn't know they made a 165SR 15? I'm looking at a Firestone F560 @ $80/ea thru Coker.
Yeah, Bridgestone. I don't think they do make 165SR15; mine are 205/55-15. And even they have been discontinued (which is why I'll be trying the Kumhos).

Randall

Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
south bend, IN., USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "My First Triumph"
1962 Triumph TR4 "Big Red"
1964 Triumph TR4 "Ugly Duckling"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV    & more
Yep,that is right. I remember long ago my father got a free set of Firestones.I always thought Firestone's were crap tires after they pulled out of Racing.
My first TR4 had a used set of Firestone mini sports on it.Being a kid with out much spare cash I plucked them off a old VW bug we had at the shop which was crashed.

Sometimes you succeed,other times you learn.

redoakboo Dick Vinal
1957 Triumph TR3 "Ruby"
Interested in how you like the Firestones? I'm getting ready to order the Firestone F560 Radial for my 57 TR-3, with 48 spoke chrome wire wheels; also from Coker.

Hard Top
Papoo Avatar
Papoo James Bango
Silverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1961 Triumph TR3A "AMELIA"
The Hard Top I have for a 1961 TR3A has bad blind spots. Are there portholes available like the 1956 Ford Thunderbird had?

Attachments:
1961 TR3.jpg    51.4 KB
1961 TR3.jpg

TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 1230317 by Papoo The Hard Top I have for a 1961 TR3A has bad blind spots. Are there portholes available like the 1956 Ford Thunderbird had?
Sorry, I don't know. But I do know that it would better to start a new topic (click on the "Start New Topic" link), rather than tacking a new subject onto an existing topic. The way you have posted, only people wanting to read a thread on tires will read your question about hard tops.

Randall

redoakboo Dick Vinal
1957 Triumph TR3 "Ruby"
I had a 57 T-Bird that had port holes in the hardtop. You could contact CASCO and buy a T-Bird set. Looks like you are taking on quite a project to cut hole in your hardtop; assume it's steel? If it's fiberglass, it would be alot easier.

A better solution is buy a nice set of rear view mirrors and mount on your front fenders.

Dick

davem Avatar
davem dave m
victoria bc, vancouver island, Canada   CAN
sounds to me like you should just sell me the hardtop and leave your top down - no blind spots there
-if you sell me your h/t i wouldn't even have to paint it
-pics are of my car at the all triumph meet in tacoma last week

Attachments:
IMG_5308.jpg    43.2 KB
IMG_5308.jpg

hitnmiss Arnie Fero
New Kensington, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 916141 by simmoTR3A I just bought some wire wheels from Dayton. They were supoded to be the tubeless type but they leaked air. I mentioned it to their agent over here and they paid for the supply and fitting of tubes.
Great company Dayton but make sure you put tubes in the tyres.

With tubes and wire wheels don't forget to install rim tapes to protect the tube from abrasion by the spoke ends.
http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/classic-tyre-inner-tubes

tonytr3 Avatar
tonytr3 Tony M
Grosse Ile, Michigan, USA   USA
I have 4 inch wheels on my 59 TR3. Will the 16580R15 tire work on them?

tony

ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, New York, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496348 by tonytr3 I have 4 inch wheels on my 59 TR3. Will the 16580R15 tire work on them?

tony

This tire/rim calculator shows that a 165/80-15 tire will work on a 4" rim. I always thought that the original rim sizes on a TR3 were 4.5". There were 4" rims on the very early TR2's, but according to Piggott, the 4.5" rims were introduced at TS1869.

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

glcaines Avatar
glcaines Silver Member Gary Caines
Hiawassee, Georgia, USA   USA
I had an unusual problem years back with one of my TR3As. I don't remember the tire size, but the spare tire/wheel was a snug fit in the spare wheel well, but easily came out at my home in Georgia which was about ~1000 feet above sea level. I was on a cross-country trip through the Rocky Mountains and ran over a rock in the road which damaged the wheel and tire. The low atmospheric pressure caused the tire to expand and it wouldn't come out of the spare wheel well. I absolutely needed the wheel and we had to drill a hole in the spare tire to relieve the pressure to remove it. Something to think about.

Current: 1973 TR6 W/Overdrive

Previous:
1963 TR3B W/Overdrive
1962 TR3A
1961 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1960 TR3A

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster