Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bruceabq Bruce M
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
Hello,

I have a 1960 TR3A. I just received my Dayton wire wheels. I want to put new tires on them. Should I use a radial tire? Any brand recommendations?

Thanks,

Bruce

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Radial tires will work fine; these cars were even available new with (optional) radials.

Sorry I don't have a brand to recommend. It's getting tough to find tires in those old skinny profiles, so you'll probably have to settle for whatever you can find. I run TR6 wheels with relatively low profile tires, and even the Bridgestone Potenzas that I like have been discontinued in the size I use. I just picked up a pair of Kumho Ecstas, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, New York, USA   USA
In reply to # 915555 by bruceabq Hello,

I have a 1960 TR3A. I just received my Dayton wire wheels. I want to put new tires on them.

What size (width) wheels did you get?? That will pretty much determine the max size tire you can use. When I got new wire wheels for my TR3, I bought a larger then stock size (5.5" vs 4.5"winking smiley and put on 185/70-15s, which are much more readily available then the 165R-15s needed for the 4.5" wheels.

Coker Tire and Universal Tire show several 156R15 tires, although it looks like both have the same selections.

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-26 06:39 AM by ArtL.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ColPClark Avatar
ColPClark Colin Clark
Hutchinson, Minnesota, USA   USA
I just ordered a set of coker firestones to go on my painted wires from moss. They're 165/80/15's I believe and cost about 80/each. Radials will give you a safer ride and cost less (yes, amazing, but true) than bias ply. Bias ply will grab, and then they wont.

These cars arent meant to run wide wheels and tires-too wide and you'll lose the handling and transmit to much force back up through the suspension. Unless of course youve gone totally custom andpout 5 bolt hubs and 4 wheel disks and opened up the wheel wells and beefed up the suspension (a lot).

TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 915837 by ColPClark These cars arent meant to run wide wheels and tires-too wide and you'll lose the handling and transmit to much force back up through the suspension.
Mebbe so, but 5.5" wheels and 205/55 tires isn't yet "too wide". I'd run wider except they won't fit between the frame & stock rear fenders. But I will agree that the handling is no longer limited by the tires, without also adding some sway bars. I've had the TR3 on the autocross track exactly once, and it says "1st place" on the trophy, so I don't really think I lost much in the way of handling smiling smiley

Randall

ColPClark Avatar
ColPClark Colin Clark
Hutchinson, Minnesota, USA   USA
Sorry that wasnt my point, with wider wheels and tires, the handing will be heavier and more force transmitted up and through suspension resulting in more than average wear over time. Back in the day, you can see tr3's and similar vehicles essentially drifting and achieving great results even on bias ply tires.

What I meant is that you would lose the light and lively handling associated with using the smaller wheels and tires, not that you would *lose the handling outright*

I have learned that the tr3 is a very tightly interconnected system; and much more complicated than what might be readily apparent and when changing one thing, it usually impacts another more than anticipated.

Just my two cents.

Congratulations on the trophy!

mntr463 Avatar
mntr463 Pat Bob
Mpls, MN, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4
1980 Triumph TR8 "The Eight"
I like the the 205's on 5" wheels, but went back to the 185's because of fender rubbing when turning. Also they wont fit in the rear tire hatch. I use a 4.5" with a 155 for a spare and yes, it's the most expensive tire for the car.

TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 916017 by mntr463 Also they wont fit in the rear tire hatch.
Definitely true. I use a 15" "Compact spare" I got for $10 at a junkyard, mounted on a stock TR3 rim. At least in theory, the compact spares are not supposed to age out like road tires do. A rolled up blanket takes up the extra space, and provides a cushion to kneel on if I do need to change a tire.

Randall

simmoTR3A Avatar
simmoTR3A Ian Simmons
Rylstone, NSW, Australia   AUS
I just bought some wire wheels from Dayton. They were supoded to be the tubeless type but they leaked air. I mentioned it to their agent over here and they paid for the supply and fitting of tubes.
Great company Dayton but make sure you put tubes in the tyres.

SeattleAuthor Avatar
SeattleAuthor Kurt Giambastiani
Seattle, Washington, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B "Pepper"
Along the same lines, my new TR3B (still in the shop...sigh) came without a spare tire or wheel, so I need to come up with one. The wire wheels on the car are nice, but very wide: 72-spokes, and something like 15x5.5", so wide that it won't fit in the spare tire well. The tires are 165/80r15.

Question: If I get a narrower wheel for a spare, like a 15x4.5", will it fit on the same hub adaptor?

TR3driver Randall Y
Yup, same adapter, as long as it's a Triumph wheel.

Randall

SeattleAuthor Avatar
SeattleAuthor Kurt Giambastiani
Seattle, Washington, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B "Pepper"
Thanks, Randall.

cdozois Avatar
cdozois Platinum Member Craig Dozois
Englewood, Florida, USA   USA
I am also interested in a compact spare, but I thought it wouldn't fit on a standard TR3 rim because the tire is more narrow? Are there different "compact tires?"

TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 926205 by cdozois I am also interested in a compact spare, but I thought it wouldn't fit on a standard TR3 rim because the tire is more narrow? Are there different "compact tires?"
They come in a few different sizes. The one I used is a T135/70D15; which usually goes on a narrower wheel (probably 4" ) but seems to work fine on a stock 4.5" TR3 wheel. I've only needed it once, but I drove over 100 miles at around 70 mph with no trouble at all. (Of course I don't recommend exceeding the speed limit shown on the tire, that's just what I did.)

Originally, I was hoping that the wheel it was on would fit the TR3. Had the right bolt circle, but wouldn't clear the calipers; so I had to move the tire to a TR3 wheel.

A T135/90 might be a better choice, but I didn't happen to stumble over one of those at the junk yard smiling smiley

Randall

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-24 06:52 PM by TR3driver.

cdozois Avatar
cdozois Platinum Member Craig Dozois
Englewood, Florida, USA   USA
Some years ago I got rid of the bias ply and purchased Michelin 165 SR 15's. I had the wide whitewall vulcanized on the tire. My 3 handles fine and looks great with the wide whites.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links