AutoShrine Sponsor

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
Ok, after getting sidetracked replacing heater hoses I am installing the rest of the steering bits. As I get to the passenger side I am thinking there ought to be this same bracket as on the drivers side. (newly painted in the picture). I can't find it in the parts catalog diagrams (either side). It wasn't there when I took it apart. Can someone tell me if it is on both sides? If so anyone have an extra? I guess I could make one, but it would be nice to have an original.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
WP_20180213_12_49_43_Rich.jpg    34.2 KB
WP_20180213_12_49_43_Rich.jpg

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
Only one (on the outboard side) on mine.

The hole you may see on the inboard side of the frame will be used to mount the radiator guard.

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
1962 Triumph TR3B
1972 Triumph TR6
Is there one on the outboard side on the passenger side? The one I have is drivers side

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tr3hardtop Avatar
tr3hardtop Colin Gentle
Bethel, CT, USA   USA
When I took my TR apart I had one of those! Even have a photo of it on the chassis, it was on the out board side. Well even though I bagged and tagged everything it has managed to escape.
If some one has an extra one of those they would like to sell let me know, or dimensions to fabricate one.
Cheers,
Colin
1961 TR3A TS/81208-L-O

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1513186 by brucejon Is there one on the outboard side on the passenger side?

Sorry, I did not realize the exact spot you meant - but the answer is still the same, only the one on mine.

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I agree; only one. It's meant to reinforce the tower that carries the steering box. The idler arm takes much less force and doesn't need to be reinforced.

Easy enough to fabricate; you can pick up some steel at Home Depot, bend to shape and drill appropriately.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

TR3driver Randall Y
Oh, BTW, I just noticed it is installed wrong. That bracket should be turned over the other way so it sticks out away from the frame. The frame extension (to the front apron) and a small spacer both have to fit between the bracket and the frame. Then there is a single long bolt that goes through the bracket, spacer, frame, and radiator guard.

Randall

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
1962 Triumph TR3B
1972 Triumph TR6
In reply to # 1513279 by TR3driver Oh, BTW, I just noticed it is installed wrong. That bracket should be turned over the other way so it sticks out away from the frame. The frame extension (to the front apron) and a small spacer both have to fit between the bracket and the frame. Then there is a single long bolt that goes through the bracket, spacer, frame, and radiator guard.

Randall, I don't see all that - the radiator guard and a frame extension to the front apron, in Geo Hanhs picture in the other post. Am I looking at it wrong? Btw I bought the car with the front apron off, so I may be flying a bit blind if there was an extension or other bits the PO removed.

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1513314 by brucejon ...I don't see all that - the radiator guard and a frame extension to the front apron, in Geo Hanhs picture in the other post. Am I looking at it wrong?

Here is that photo of mine:

and yours...

Something's not right here.

TR3driver Randall Y
Maybe this will make it clearer.

(1) is what I call the frame extension (SPC calls it "Bracket assembly, bumper support - L.H." 606515)
(2) is the radiator guard (aka "Cross-member, radiator protection" 109487)
(3) I think is the bracket/brace we are discussing (aka "Bracket, stiffening, trunnion to bumper bolt" 118444)
(4) is an aftermarket anti-sway bar (aka "sway bar", ADDCO #127)

The spacer (aka "Tube, distance, trunnion to bumper bolt" 118445) between the bracket and frame extension is not visible at all in my photo. You can see just a bit of one side in Geo's photo, that curved section between the two.

Randall

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-14 10:44 AM by TR3driver.

6TTR3A Frank Conklin
San Diego,CA, USA   USA
This one shows the spacer
FRank

Attachments:
Bracket-2.JPG    31.9 KB
Bracket-2.JPG

CFMTR3A Avatar
CFMTR3A Carl M
Tampa, FL, USA   USA
Bruce - before you install, could you please post a side view of the bracket including the measurements?
Mine is missing...

Thanks

Attachments:
Bracket-118444.jpg    16.4 KB
Bracket-118444.jpg

Peter-K Peter K
Central, ME, USA   USA
Add another photo - I grabbed this a few years ago because I had the exact same question as to fit. If this is your car, thanks!

Attachments:
tr3 left front suspension bumper arm bracket mounting.jpg    69.3 KB
tr3 left front suspension bumper arm bracket mounting.jpg

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
1962 Triumph TR3B
1972 Triumph TR6
In reply to # 1513526 by CFMTR3A Bruce - before you install, could you please post a side view of the bracket including the measurements?
Mine is missing...

Thanks

Happy to, tonight

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
1962 Triumph TR3B
1972 Triumph TR6
This should help. I was careful of parallax

Attachments:
WP_20180215_15_39_50_Rich.jpg    22 KB
WP_20180215_15_39_50_Rich.jpg

WP_20180215_15_35_47_Rich.jpg    21.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
WP_20180215_15_35_06_Rich.jpg    16.4 KB
WP_20180215_15_32_10_Rich.jpg    20.3 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links