Correct vintage tires for 1960 Triumph TR3a

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jsliger50 Jim Sliger
Turner, OR, USA   USA
I'd like to know your opinion on the correct tires for a 1960 TR3A. What I have found so far is maybe some 155HR 15 or 165 HR 15 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CA67 Tyres or possibly some Vredestein Sprint Classic Tires 165 HR 15. Your thoughts...........

Thanks, Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
billspit Bill Kea
Moore, Spartanburg, SC, USA   USA
Where are you seeing the Pirelli's?

Britnut Avatar
Britnut Randy DeRuiter
Nacogdoches, TX, USA   USA
Unless you are looking for a specific tire for concours or a whitewall, etc I think using 165/80-15 radials are a very common tire to use - they will fit in a post 60000 commission TR3A wheel well, and you can find some pretty inexpensive options. My past favorite was a tire from Kumho, but they are hard to find now - this is one example however that I think is an interesting option:Federal tire option on Amazon

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Are you looking for "show correct" ? or just something to drive on? The original radials (for 1960) were Michelin X in 165R15. I don't know of anyone still making that exact pattern, but the later Michelin XZX is fairly readily available.
Eg, http://www.lucasclassictires.com/165SR15-Michelin-XZX-57982L.htm

Bill, they also have Pirelli Cinturato

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

jsliger50 Jim Sliger
Turner, OR, USA   USA
Thanks Randall for your reply. I am trying to put together a Concourse show car. I'd like to put radials on if their period correct. From the little I have found so far it looks like the Michelin XZX 165SR15 may be ok, but the Pirelli Cinturato may be even a better choice. I think the car could have been fit with a set of Pirelli Cinturato from factory but not sure about that.

jsliger50 Jim Sliger
Turner, OR, USA   USA
TR3driver Randall Y
Michelin X is the only radial mentioned in the owners manual (tho it lists several bias ply tires). I'm sure the dealer would change the tires (for a price) but AFAIK the factory only installed Michelin radials..

The UK was very protectionist at the time, and I suspect Michelin would have been considered "home market". In spite of their French heritage, they had been present in GB since before WWI, while Pirelli was still very much Italian even by 1960.

Plus of course Mussolini's role in WWII.

Randall

Geo Hahn Avatar
Mt Lemmon, AZ, USA   USA
I think these 165/15 Vreds look pretty much period correct and I also like the handling, etc:

BTW - On my pre-TS60000 TR3A I have to deflate the spare (and sprinkle baby power on it) to get it in the compartment. I also have a nylon strap looped thru it to make it easier to pull out.

Best price I have found on the Vreds has been JEGs or Summit (depending on who has them in stock).

As for 'concours correct" -- here is what the TRA Judging Guide says on the subject:

Quote: D. The tires fitted to the earliest TR2s were 550 series, bias-ply, Dunlop blackwalls.Later,Michelin "X" series
radia1s, whitewalls, and 590 series bias-ply Dunlops in both blackwall and whitewall style were offered. Most
all but the earliest TR3As were fitted with 590 or Michelin tires. For the purposes of judging, all are correct,
including 560 series whitewalls -- no 550 whitewalls are available currently. If whitewalls are installed, they
should be of the period, typically 2 to 3 inches wide. As tires are consumables and older tires are a safety
hazard, judges should accept tires that are comparable replacements to the originals (for example, a wide ply
tire would not be comparable to a Michelin 590 but a similar sized radial from a Michelin competitor would be
comparable). Restorers are of course encouraged to fit tires as close to the original specifications of their cars
as possible.

davem Avatar
davem dave m
vancouver island, BC, Canada   CAN
try longstone tyres in the uk for pricing on their michelin
-their price is free shipping if u buy 4

-i had vredesteins on my tr3 and found them to be not anywhere near as good as the michelins i got from longstone
(so i gave them away)
-the michelins are a smooth riding tire and hold the road
-i have put them on my 2 tr3's and 1 morgan and will continue to do so

DonP Avatar
DonP Don P
Frankfort, IL, USA   USA
I'm starting a tire search too.

Besides the Lucas site, what are the other place to look for tires for our cars? Is there a sticky post with suppliers listed anywhere?

What are the largest tires you can run safely that will still clear the body work on a TR3? 185/70? 185s? 165s?

I found a great deal on a set of TR6 wires (5.5 inches x 15) and was thinking of switching to wires with the spacer adapters from Moss.

I know the spare can't be larger than a 165 x 15 and I have one older 48 spoke wire to use as a spare, if I make the change.

Britnut Avatar
Britnut Randy DeRuiter
Nacogdoches, TX, USA   USA
195/65-15s are about the biggest I think people use on TR3s, I just bought some 185/70-15 Vredesteins which I will use on my TR4 with 5.5" alloys which should be useable on the 3A as well. For Vredesteins, Vulcan Tire is also a good internet source.

TR3driver Randall Y
Even 165 is marginal in the spare well, if you have a car before TS60000.

I run 205/55 on the ground (on TR6 wheels) but they can brush the rear fenders under some circumstances. Not enough to hurt anything, but you can see where the sidewall has the dirt rubbed off. They only touch when doing things most TR owners don't do (like taking a 35mph freeway ramp at 70 mph) YMMV On my previous 3A, the body was off center to the axle enough that I had to take it loose and move it over to make the tires fit.

Finding 155 tires is a hassle and I got tired of trying to deal with a 165 in the spare tire well; so I found a compact spare (T135D15) at the junkyard and used that instead. It fits with lots of room to spare, so I keep a rolled up blanket stuffed in beside it to keep it from sliding around. The blanket comes in handy for changing tires or other roadside repairs. Another nice thing about the compact spare is that they don't "age out" as modern road tires do. I've used it several times and it works great.

Randall

TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 1512163 by DonP Besides the Lucas site, what are the other place to look for tires for our cars? Is there a sticky post with suppliers listed anywhere?
Coker tire is another popular source for period-correct tires. https://www.cokertire.com/

Sometimes you can find the right size on Tire Rack; at the moment they have the Vredesteins mentioned above, plus some "Classic" brand in 165R15 https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Classic&tireModel=All+Season&partnum=68TR5CAS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
(that's also where I get my 205/55 tires)

Euro-tire has the Vredes listed too
https://www.eurotire.com/Vredestein-T-Trac2-Tire-detail.htm?productId=22700989&optionId=22700999&ez=&pos=1

Might be worth asking at your local tire store too. The last place I went to get mine mounted said they could beat Tire Rack's price (when including shipping, mounting and balancing, etc). But the difference was only a few $$ and they would have had to order them anyway.

Randall

DonP Avatar
DonP Don P
Frankfort, IL, USA   USA
Thanks for the links. Now to do some serious window shopping.

vancouver, WA, USA   USA
Guys
Look back to post#5. Jim is building a concours TR. Jim is a friend and he is not only serious about it being right but is quite capable of making it right. He needs input on what a 1960 TR3 would have been shod with when sitting on a US dealers showroom floor. As an old guy I remember them either shod with a cross ply Dunlop (wide whitewall) or a Michelin X. Pirelli was an option for those finding the cross ply tires too harsh and would have been a dealer replacement. Any info you can provide is important.
Mike C

if

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Triumph GT6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links