AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Template?
  This topic is about my 1959 Triumph TR3A
cwacwa Avatar
cwacwa Bill A
Pattersonville, NY, USA   USA
At some time in the future, I would like to add a Triumph badge and the letters T-R-I-U-M-P-H to the nose of my car. They don't now exist and there are no holes for them as a fiberglass nose was used in my rebuild. My question is, does anyone know if there is a template that would allow me to accurately locate the holes for my missing items?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CJD john durant
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
If there was, it is now long gone. You will have too get the measurements and make your own template.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

charleyf Silver Member Charley Fitch
Redding, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "MR.T"
Bill,
Remember that there are two different "types" of letters for the nose piece. The early ones were "ribbed" and the later "smooth". I do not know the cutoff point between the use of the two different styles. Maybe you just need to decide which style you want and use it. But the mounting holes ARE DIFFERENT between the two styles.
Also do not forget the badge that goes above the letters. I believe the various badges used the same spacing. And again there are several badges that "might" be applicable to your vintage car. There were red and black and blue and white. Plus I have seen pictures of two variations of the red and black. All of these are available at TRF.
Once you decide what letter style you want to use, I would suggest that you put out a request for some help from your "fellow" Forum users . I have at least one style of nose piece and maybe the second one available that I could make a pattern.

Charley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DonP Don P
Frankfort, IL, USA   USA
Take a photo and basic measurements of whichever style you want to use.

Enlarge it to actual size and use it as a guide for your mounting holes.

ckeithjordan Avatar
ckeithjordan Keith Jordan
Shawnee, KS, USA   USA
Attached is a PDF of the drilling guide for both styles of the apron letters. This is from the TR Register's Technicalities Vol.1. You will have to scale the drawings to make it work, but there are dimensions called out to help.

I hope this helps.

Keith

1966 Spitfire 4 Mk.2 (1972-1975)
1962 TR3B TCF1183L (1979-1982)
1957 TR3 TS20447LO (2017-)

Attachments:
Apron Letter Guide.pdf    116.6 KB

charleyf Silver Member Charley Fitch
Redding, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "MR.T"
Bill,
I do have a nose piece for both styles of letters. Let me know if you want a template for one of them.
Charley

JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Silver Member Joe Otero
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR3B
1968 Triumph GT6 MkI "Cali"
1971 TVR Vixen
1972 TVR Vixen
In reply to # 1505634 by ckeithjordan Attached is a PDF of the drilling guide for both styles of the apron letters. This is from the TR Register's Technicalities Vol.1. You will have to scale the drawings to make it work, but there are dimensions called out to help.

I hope this helps.

Cool.. thanks for posting Keith.. I'm not ready yet... Have a lot more work... My TR3 has the ribbed set when it should have the smooth version... At some point this will be very useful for me..

Thanks
Joe Otero

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links