AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Starshark Avatar
Starshark Joe Garcia
Gainesville, GA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A "White Knight"
After a Summer of repairs / restoration, My 1960 TR-3A "White Knight" and I were ready for the Georgia Triumph Association ALS charity Polar Bear Run thru the North Georgia Mountains on Saturday 30 Dec. 2017. A good cause with great folks. More than 50+ plus folks driving all kinds of cool cars (pun intended) participated on a clear and COLD day. We left the Atlanta Motorsports Park north of Dawsonville GA off of HY 53 towards Neels Gap, Baldridge Mountain GA...the end/start of the Appalachian Trail. My little TR loved it and it's 3rd gear was used well... laboring up and thru curves that said 25 MPH which we took at 45+. Then...BANG, BANG, BANG, CLUNK happened...going down hill! I pulled over quickly feeling that I threw a rod or main bearing. With no cell coverage in the mountains (of course) I was rescued by a local who contacted a Blairsville GA towing company and then the GTA gaggle showed up with "support"...I was offered peppermint schnapps to lift my spirits but I declined. GTA's Mike Hurst feels I should check out the water pump first before I dive into the engine. A TR-4 buddy of his felt he had blown his engine (same engine as mine) but found that the root cause of all the commotion was a failed water pump bearing. I sure hope this is the issue since I have taken off and then back on the nose of the car 3 times this year alone! I really don't like doing that since its a pain... aka "labor of love" (BS). A $260, 57 mile tow back to my home was a bit humiliating but I'll get over it and hopefully back on the road soon. Life with a TR is an adventure for sure.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20171230_093113.jpg    26.7 KB
20171230_093113.jpg

20171230_104446.jpg    51.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20171230_104500.jpg    55.1 KB
20171230_120746.jpg    53.6 KB
gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, VA, USA   USA
What a bummer Joe! I hope it's the water pump, too. That $260 towing bill really adds insult to injury. I guess towing prices have gone up since my last break down, years ago. A good reason to have a back-up plan like AAA or similar. It looks like some fine looking cars were with you. If you have more photos of the Polar Bear Run, please post. At least you guys are able to drive your cars this time of year. Most of us have ours put away for the winter because of all the road chemicals. Best of luck. smileys with beer

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

Starshark Avatar
Starshark Joe Garcia
Thanks for the positive outlook...here are some additional photos...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20171230_093054.jpg    32.7 KB
20171230_093054.jpg

20171230_093102.jpg    40.9 KB
20171230_093107.jpg    29.2 KB
20171230_111859.jpg    44.6 KB
glcaines Avatar
glcaines Silver Member Gary Caines
Hiawassee, GA, USA   USA
When you say bang, bang, bang are you talking about a metallic bang or a back-fire? I'm assuming the clunk was metallic? Is the engine seized? Does the car roll free in neutral? Are you sure the timing chain is intact? I broke a timing chain on a TR3 once and it sounded like your description. Try turning the engine over by hand and see if the distributor rotor turns. If not, you likely have a timing chain issue. By the way, the cause of my timing chain break was that the tensioner wore in half and one piece went around between the chain and sprockets.

Current: 1973 TR6 W/Overdrive

Previous:
1963 TR3B W/Overdrive
1962 TR3A
1961 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1960 TR3A

Starshark Avatar
Starshark Joe Garcia
When you say bang, bang, bang are you talking about a metallic bang or a back-fire?

Metallic sounding bang, bang, clunk, clunk..

I'm assuming the clunk was metallic?

Good assumption...Correct!

Is the engine seized?

Nope runs fine...ran it up my driveway hill since the tow truck could not deposit the car up there.

Does the car roll free in neutral?

Rolls free...driveable but sounds like its ready to nuke.

Are you sure the timing chain is intact?

Timing chain is fine...just replaced the tensioner...see pics...was worn but not as bad as yours...

I broke a timing chain on a TR3 once and it sounded like your description. Try turning the engine over by hand and see if the distributor rotor turns. If not, you likely have a timing chain issue. By the way, the cause of my timing chain break was that the tensioner wore in half and one piece went around between the chain and sprockets.

Thanks for your input...I sure hope its the water pump letting loose...will see in the AM...IF I have no hang over....

Happy New Year

Attachments:
20160223_112721.jpg    39.3 KB
20160223_112721.jpg

20160223_112659.jpg    50.5 KB
twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
Take a very close look at the bottom crank pulley as well. About 15 years ago I heard a loud BANG as I was entering the freeway. I pulled over, opened the hood and looked around and started to lower it. The cogs were visible on the fan belt... ie that fan belt was inside out. Looked closer and the whole bottom pulley was gone. I found a scuff/scratch on the bottom of the bonnet (bang) and the schrapnel on the bulkhead... it was an irritating tow. Backed off the roll back and drove it into the garage. Kyle.

Starshark Avatar
Starshark Joe Garcia
Gentlemen...Happy New Year.
Thanks soooo much for your support.
Today, I removed the fan belt, isolating the water pump and generator and started the engine...
Result...Bang, Bang, Clunk... = blown engine.
Will remove the engine once the weather gets a bit warmer.
Bummer but new 2018 project for Joe.

glcaines Avatar
Hiawassee, GA, USA   USA
Joe,
I'm sorry to hear about your engine. They are normally very tough. You might want to remove the valve cover and oil pan before you pull the engine just to see what went amiss. If something went wrong in the valve train you might be able to repair it without pulling the engine. It looks like we are almost neighbors. I live in Hiawassee, Georgia. There is a garage in Cleveland, Georgia that specializes in British cars called The Roadspeed Garage, http://roadspeed.blogspot.com, (706) 348-6364. Bart Miller runs Roadspeed and he is very good. He might be able to help you on how to proceed. I've rebuilt several TR3 engines in the past and it is very easy and straightforward.

Previous:
1963 TR3B W/Overdrive
1962 TR3A
1961 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1960 TR3A

TR3nut Nelson B
Atl, GA, USA   USA
Hey Joe,

Sorry to hear that. I was thinking that a possible culprit could have been the recent installation of the rear seal. Something may have not aligned properly and disrupted lubrication or blocked one of the oil passages. It was great to share time with you during the event. Let's keep in touch, you got my number. Happy New Year!!!

Starshark Avatar
Starshark Joe Garcia
Well I did it again!
~40 years separate my two broken crankshaft experiences ! I am to blame. I reciently changed out my rear seal and replaced only the lower half of the rear main bearing which was toast. I should have done all lower rear main bearings at the same time. Too much for the ol' White Knight. I will hunt down a replacement crank (got any?). I will pull the engine and do a complete rebuild with 87mm pistons/sleeves (got any?). I will have the head redone as well...Question: Should I get a new head so I don't have to add lead additives? or... can I keep the head I have and put in new seats? I am in need of major TR engine counseling.

Attachments:
20180106_122413.jpg    27.3 KB
20180106_122413.jpg

20180106_152851.jpg    48 KB
20180106_144957_001.jpg    28.8 KB
20180106_152600.jpg    49.5 KB
glcaines Avatar
Hiawassee, GA, USA   USA
I'm very sorry to hear about your broken crankshaft. You mentioned installing 87 mm sleeves and pistons. I did that upgrade on a 1962 TR3A I owned previously. There was a significant increase in power with no noticeable decrease in fuel economy. However, the upgrade had a slight downside in that the engine had a higher tendency to overheat. I suspect this was due to the larger diameter sleeves restricting coolant flow. However, I lived with the overheating. The engine previously ran fine on lower grade gasoline. After the upgrade, which included a higher compression ratio, the engine tended to ping if pushed in hot weather. I would definitely recommend the upgrade, however. I put a lot of miles and years on my TR3A after the upgrade without any failures. I also replaced all bearings and had the valves ground at the same time. I never installed a rear crankshaft seal on any of my TR3s - I just lived with the oil drops under the car.

Previous:
1963 TR3B W/Overdrive
1962 TR3A
1961 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1960 TR3A

Starshark Avatar
Starshark Joe Garcia
Mike Hurst of Georgia Triumph Associaton came over Sunday AM and in a blink of an eye, we had my TR-3A motor out and on my truck! It will be “deconstructed” by all at the next ATL GTA tech session which might be 24 Feb.

I have much to do…clean up all the parts, chase threads, bolts and nuts and spiff up the engine bay. My plan is for all GTA'ers to see and comment on my TR’s engine guts, get consensus re: what to do next and where then move out smartly.

Note: Cool rebuilt trani via Mark Macy, Ohio…exhaust and intake manifolds need mucho love.

Attachments:
20180121_105736.jpg    36.7 KB
20180121_105736.jpg

20180121_132911.jpg    44.1 KB
20180121_132901.jpg    62.8 KB
20180121_132943.jpg    50 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Triumph TR3A

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links