Steering Wheel Repair

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

kalombo Wilmer Sprunger
Berne, Indiana, USA   USA
Anyone out there have any good ideas (or videos) that explain and show HOW to wrap a steering wheel for a TR3?

My old one on the car I'm restoring is fifty-some years old and I'm trying to make it look new. So how does one wrap a nice new black strip of leather on a 16-1/2" dia. wheel? I'd like to wrap it in a diagonal fashion all the way around, but most examples (or all or them) show it going straight around and being laced together to close the gap inside the strip.

Any comments or illustrations welcomed.

Thanks,
Wilmer

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
2long Dan M
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA   USA
I have heard that "wheelskins" have a good quality product, but it does wrap around the wheel in the more conventional fashion. Consider restoring the Blumels wheel and using it without a wrap - I am pretty klutzy but I found that restoring even a pretty bad wheel is a pleasing and manageable job, and the restored original wheel looks really nice as it is.

Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-06 11:30 PM by 2long.

1147cc Avatar
1147cc Silver Member Douglas Hansen
Westminster, SC, USA   USA
Its not too hard to restore a wheel. Just have to take the time to remove the cracks and repair the sections with a good epoxy.
I use PC7 epoxy which is thick and wont run like JB. Its slower to cure but once it is just sand it to shape and prime and paint etc...

BUT
The 3 wheels do crack more than the 4 wheels. I had to remove all of the Bakelite on a 3 wheel and I will prob cut the ring off and graft a TR4 wheel ring to the 3 center spokes.

Douglas Hansen
New Parts; Engine Rebuilds; Sheet Metal work and Advice.
http://www.1147cc.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_20170413_243043011.jpg    28.5 KB
IMG_20170413_243043011.jpg

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I agree its not too hard (tho definitely tedious).

However, I much prefer the feel of leather, especially on long drives.

I use and like Wheelskins (I believe Moss sells the same thing without the Wheelskins name). Look for their ad on eBay, its usually cheaper than elsewhere. Probably best to double check, but they made a custom for my TR3 at the same price.

I like the double "baseball" stitch, but you'll need a second needle. Sorry I don't have a photo handy at the moment.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster