clutch slave cylinder

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Richwtr3 Richard Wilkins
Warrenton, Virginia, USA   USA
Anybody have any tricks to bleeding the clutch slave cylinder? You can't hold the pedal down like you do with the brakes. Richw

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
charleyf Silver Member Charley Fitch
Redding, California, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "MR.T"
Richard,
A friend and I just did one. He had a spare brake/clutch fluid reservoir cap with a tire valve mounted in the cap. We tried this after not being able to prime the master cylinder. Put that on plus a few pumps from a hand tire pump. And then did at least one pump the pedal and open the bleeder and we were done.
I suspect that our problem was needing to get fluid into the master cylinder. There is likely some other way to accomplish that.
Charley

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Another way to fill the MC the first time is to loosen the outlet fitting and push on the push rod a few times. Doesn't take much to get it working.

Once the MC is working, I find it usually adequate to pump the clutch up, hold it awhile (maybe 10-15 seconds) then release. Repeat 3 or 4 times, then take a drive. The pedal might still be a little low, but will come up on it's own. At least that's been my experience.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TuRtle5 Avatar
TuRtle5 Kevin Kelly
Absecon, NJ, USA   USA
1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster "Coral Mistress"
1959 Triumph TR3A "Drandulet"
1962 Triumph Vitesse "Ohtoseethelightofday"
1968 Triumph TR250    & more
I agree with Randall- that the clutch will usually self bleed once it's a little primed.
another way is speed bleeders- unscrew them a 1/2 turn and pump the pedal all you want. I have them in some of my cars and like 'em.

Richwtr3 Richard Wilkins
Warrenton, Virginia, USA   USA
Thanks, everybody. Another question, does everybody use the middle hole on the clutch shaft for the slave cylinder fork?

CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
Yes, middle hole.

This is an example of using the lower hole:

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?111634-Clutch-Adjustment

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I always have. Briefly tried moving to the top hole on the Stag (which had problems with lack of travel, caused mostly by wear at the pedal) but it didn't make enough travel difference to worry about and I worry about increased wear caused by the force being off-center. So I put it back and used an oversize clevis pin at the pedal instead.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster