AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Andy Saltspringer Avatar
Andy Saltspringer Andy Higgs J
Saltspring Island, BC, Canada   CAN
Hi

I am cleaning up my rear leaf springs; a shackle has broken and they neededto be painted and re-bushed.

On assembly I would like to know if they need to be reradiused, unfortunately they were off the car when I bought it so I cannot measure an ladened dimension. Currently center eye to center eye is 40". The workshop manual quotes 41" ladened so do I to assume that they are probably in pretty good shape?

Does anyone have an unladened eye-to-eye measurement from a set of rear springs that are known to be good?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Andy

Saltspring Island, BC

1961 TR3A
1946 Harley Davidson WL45
1960 BMW R60/2
1972 BMW R60/5
1973 BMW R75/5
1981 Moto Morini 500

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Randy C Avatar
South Ogden, Utah, USA   USA
You might consider calling the Roadster Factory's customer service number and ask them what the measurements are of the new rear springs that they sell. In the past I have found them to be helpful answering technical questions.

ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, New York, USA   USA
I have a pair of new aftermarket (from Moss) TR3 leaf springs sitting in my garage. They measure 40" center of eye to eye. However, these are the notoriously stiff springs with "208636" (part number) stenciled on with white paint. The leaves measure thicker than OE. I haven't installed them because of that.

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
208636 is the TR4 part number, supposedly interchangeable with the TR3 springs. But I had the same problem with them being way too stiff with the ones I got from TRF some years ago. The free height was about the same as stock springs, but I measured the rate at 220 lb/in, much stiffer than the 128 lb/in given for stock springs or even 155 for competition springs. The result was totally undriveable, as the axle spent most of it's time pressed against the frame.

I've since heard that TRF fixed their problem, but haven't tried another set myself.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Andy Saltspringer Avatar
Andy Saltspringer Andy Higgs J
Saltspring Island, BC, Canada   CAN
All good advice; I heard that the aftermarket springs were pretty questionable and they lacked the taper seen in the ends of the original springs, which resulted in a harsh ride and odd ride height.

It sounds like my springs might be pretty good so I am going to refurbish them and see how they look.

I took delivery of my engine components yesterday and now have about six cardboard boxes sitting on the floor of my workshop containing all the overhauled parts. The block was cooked and washed, the corrosion removed, liner lands cleaned, refaced and then hot washed again. Crank, head and block magnafluxed. The liners were honed, new figure eight gaskets supplied, pistons cleaned up and pistons and rods balanced, crank balanced and polished, new unleaded exhaust vale seats fitted, head decked, valve guides sleeved and honed, valve springs checked for tension, flywheel surfaced and balanced. Camshaft checked and new camshaft bearings fitted. New journal and mains supplied, new rod bolts, new piston rings, crank machined for the modified rear main seal. The whole bill was $2,250US so Christmas came a bit early...

My workshop now has a 1946 WL45 Harley in pieces, a 1973 R75/5 in the middle of a major service, and a 1961 TR3A in bits... Not a great deal of counter space available....

Cheers

Andy

Saltspring Island, BC

1961 TR3A
1946 Harley Davidson WL45
1960 BMW R60/2
1972 BMW R60/5
1973 BMW R75/5
1981 Moto Morini 500

ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, New York, USA   USA
In reply to # 1501499 by Andy Saltspringer ...
My workshop now has a 1946 WL45 Harley in pieces, ...

In the late '70s, I acquired a 1946 WR45 in exchange for a 100cc Bridgestone dirt bike. It was in pieces and I had to put it back together. It came with a Wico magneto in the place of where the generator normally resides, and had no brakes. I installed a rear disc brake from a Honda. I got it running and ride-able, but really needed to get a generator and distributor to replace the magneto to run some lights. I traded it for a Kawasaki 500 triple. One of my more stupid moves.

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster