Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
Looking at the catalogs for parts i never saw this type of mounting pin for the rear brake shoes. The mounting kit i bought will not work on these. These can be removed and it looks like the new pins will fit, but is there a different mounting system i should be using or the ones in the picture are an old style and you have to use the newer pins and clips?

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
North Coast Triumph Association
TWOA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0940_LI.jpg    46.7 KB
IMG_0940_LI.jpg

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
There were several distinct styles of Girling rear brakes used on the TR3/A; those seem to be the poorest documented ones. I would keep that style of "mounting pin", as it's the only thing that supports the shoe in the proper place. With the other types, there is a series of flat spots on the backing plate that support the shoe against the hold-down springs; but those backing plates don't have that. The alternative is to change backing plates as well.

Unless the threads are buggered, you can just keep the old supports; adjust as necessary so the shoe faces are in line with the axle centerline (not tilted in or out). There should be a screwdriver slot outside, as well as a jam nut to lock them in place.

There is also supposed to be a felt "bush" that goes around the post, to trap some lubricant. TRF has them under P/N 7H4429. Here's a shot where you can (kind of) see the bushes on the support pins

PS, I am still looking for an exploded parts diagram of that style of 10" brakes, for inclusion in my annotated version of the factory SPC. If anyone has one, I'd love to hear from you!

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Pat.L Avatar
Randall

What holds the shoe onto those pins? I did not take this apart and I am not familiar with this set up.

In reply to # 1500837 by TR3driver There were several distinct styles of Girling rear brakes used on the TR3/A; those seem to be the poorest documented ones. I would keep that style of "mounting pin", as it's the only thing that supports the shoe in the proper place. With the other types, there is a series of flat spots on the backing plate that support the shoe against the hold-down springs; but those backing plates don't have that. The alternative is to change backing plates as well.

Unless the threads are buggered, you can just keep the old supports; adjust as necessary so the shoe faces are in line with the axle centerline (not tilted in or out). There should be a screwdriver slot outside, as well as a jam nut to lock them in place.

There is also supposed to be a felt "bush" that goes around the post, to trap some lubricant. TRF has them under P/N 7H4429. Here's a shot where you can (kind of) see the bushes on the support pins

PS, I am still looking for an exploded parts diagram of that style of 10" brakes, for inclusion in my annotated version of the factory SPC. If anyone has one, I'd love to hear from you!

Patrick
TWOA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
The return springs have a funny reverse hook on the end, that presses the shoes lightly against the support pins.

Randall

Pat.L Avatar
Thanks Randall, I now have that part figured out. Those pins, are they to be screwed in until they just touch the metal part of the brake show or slightly move the shoe way from the backing plate?

By the way, the P/N for the felt on the pin is 105671 at TRF.

In reply to # 1500889 by TR3driver The return springs have a funny reverse hook on the end, that presses the shoes lightly against the support pins.

Patrick
TWOA

TR3driver Randall Y
They need to be set so they hold the shoes out far enough to be square to the braking surface of the drum.
Not real critical, but the brakes will drag and wear funny if the pins are in too far. I also got a weird clunk that would only happen sometimes, right after taking my foot off the brake.

Randall

TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 1500910 by Pat.L By the way, the P/N for the felt on the pin is 105671 at TRF.

That's odd. Are you not getting this?

Randall

Attachments:
UNTITLED.JPG    10 KB
UNTITLED.JPG

Pat.L Avatar
Found that part number in the glove Box Companion under Girling Brakes. If you are asking whether I was purchasing this , no. Coated the threads with anti-seize since i think that the felt keeps corrosion from happening on the threads.

In reply to # 1501046 by TR3driver
In reply to # 1500910 by Pat.L By the way, the P/N for the felt on the pin is 105671 at TRF.

That's odd. Are you not getting this?

Patrick
TWOA

TR3driver Randall Y
Oh, OK. The number you gave has been superceded, the one I gave you can order today.

I'm fairly certain the felt is to lubricate and seal where the shoe rubs on the post. If it was to protect the threads, it would probably go over them (but it doesn't).

Randall

Pat.L Avatar
Ok, I ordered them. When you type 7H4429 into the search box it comes up 'sorry no results'. But when you place the order with 105671 it says 7H4429 supplied. Curious!

Thanks for the help.

In reply to # 1501272 by TR3driver Oh, OK. The number you gave has been superceded, the one I gave you can order today.

I'm fairly certain the felt is to lubricate and seal where the shoe rubs on the post. If it was to protect the threads, it would probably go over them (but it doesn't).

Patrick
TWOA

TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 1501300 by Pat.L Ok, I ordered them. When you type 7H4429 into the search box it comes up 'sorry no results'. But when you place the order with 105671 it says 7H4429 supplied. Curious!
Try using the "search by part number" box.

Randall

Attachments:
UNTITLED.JPG    18.4 KB
UNTITLED.JPG

Pat.L Avatar
Those felt bushes came today. Do you soak them in oil, use some Brake Lube on them, or leave them dry?

In reply to # 1501306 by TR3driver
In reply to # 1501300 by Pat.L Ok, I ordered them. When you type 7H4429 into the search box it comes up 'sorry no results'. But when you place the order with 105671 it says 7H4429 supplied. Curious!
Try using the "search by part number" box.

Patrick
TWOA

TR3driver Randall Y
I used a dab of brake lube on the end of the pin. Not sure if that's right or not, but it seemed to work well.

In reply to # 1501554 by Pat.L Those felt bushes came today. Do you soak them in oil, use some Brake Lube on them, or leave them dry?

Randall

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster