Rear Crankshaft Oil Seal

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Flamingo52 Gregory Stich
Auburn, Alabama, USA   USA
I'm restoring a 1959 TR3A (frame off). Now doing the engine rebuild.
I upgraded the rear oil seal with the German Barstuck kit that adds a Viton seal but still maintains some of the original "labyrinth" and does NOT require any machining of the crank. I do have a couple of issues with that, but at least it incorporates some more modern technology. The issues have to do with the seal not being "locked" into position in the aluminum housing, It rotates with the crankshaft and moves fore and aft. Having done that mod. though, it seems pretty darn achaic to cram the Peramtex-soaked fiber into those grooves. Wouldn't it be better to cram some silicone o-ring stock into those slots? I will take some measurements, but I'm thinking a diameter between ΒΌ" - 3/8" would be good. That material is available from Amazon -- not cheap, but available.
Any thoughts?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
The housing should 'grab' the Viton pretty good, but it doesn't hurt to use a small amount of Permatex (or your favorite gasket shellac) to help hold the seal in place.

The O-ring stock is worth a try, I guess, but the felt works quite well if properly applied. The process forces sealant from the felt out into the seam between the cap & block, so it's more than just the groove doing the sealing.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

johnstydo Avatar
johnstydo John Styduhar
Hermitage, PA, USA   USA
If that Viton seal you installed is rotating on the crank and moves fore and aft, you are in trouble. A far as sealing the rear main bearing in the block, I used Hondabond.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links