TRExp

TR2 & TR3 Forum

TR3 Storage; on ground or on jack stands?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

pcsbob Robert Wilkins
Franklin, TN, USA   USA
1957 Triumph TR3 "TR3"
1970 MG MGB "Greenie"
1973 MG MGB
I would appreciate advice from members on the best way to store my 1957 TR3.

I just purchased this car a few months ago. This car has been in the same family since new. It is is great original condition. The car has a original paint, interior, nearly new set of chrome wire wheels and OD. It is my understanding the car was always kept on the ground. This kept the suspension under compression. I have been told that placing the car of jack stands would be better for the suspension and wire wheels.

Should I place it on stands or leave it on the ground?
If so, where should they be placed?
Should I use 4 stands, 6 stands?
Should I be concerned about flex of the body if I need to open doors, bonnet, etc?

Hope to hear from some of you!

Bob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
TR3 091417 (2).jpg    28.2 KB
TR3 091417 (2).jpg

wrayg Avatar
wrayg wray brady
bethel park,pa, USA   USA
inside on concrete. tires on the ground loading suspension. may want to put small pieces of plywood under each tire to prevent flat spots on the tires if you will leave it for an extended period of time. looks like a beautiful car great find.

CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
My answer is it depends on how long you plan to store it. Up to 2 months, just leave it on the ground as is. Past that I would put stands under the rear axle and front trunnions...but in that case I would also "pickle" everything with oil in the cylinders and such. I don't drive mine at all anymore, but I leave it on the ground and "exercise" it once a month to work all the switches and mechanicals. Just a quick drive around the neighborhood. Sitting is harder on a car than driving it!

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgedit Mike Graham
Kemptville, Ontario, Canada   CAN
I leave both of mine on their tires over our winters here in Canada. TR3 is usually the top car in my 4 post hoist so is well off the ground. I use a car cover, a plastic sheet or tarp under any car stored on concrete to limit moisture coming out of the concrete, and bits of cardboard too to catch any drips. I use a stabilizer in the gas and remove the battery for inside storage and occasional charging over winter. Cheers, Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-14 10:13 AM by mgedit.

Attachments:
4 Post Hoist.JPG    44.1 KB
4 Post Hoist.JPG

pcsbob Robert Wilkins
Franklin, TN, USA   USA
1957 Triumph TR3 "TR3"
1970 MG MGB "Greenie"
1973 MG MGB
Thanks for the reply

Wish my garage had space for a setup like yours.

I have been told the wire wheels on my car can stretch if they are left in one position too long. They would then need to be trued. I will likely not drive the car again till next spring.

DO you have any experience with wire wheels?

BOb

RobTAR Robert I
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497848 by pcsbob Thanks for the reply

Wish my garage had space for a setup like yours.

I have been told the wire wheels on my car can stretch if they are left in one position too long. They would then need to be trued. I will likely not drive the car again till next spring.

DO you have any experience with wire wheels?

BOb

You could park the car where you want it, put a chalk mark on a tire, then roll the car till the tire makes one revolution. Keep that space clear and the chalk mark on your tire and just roll it back or forward to stress a different part of the rim.

Aridgerunner Avatar
Aridgerunner Silver Member Bill Bussler
Montoursville, PA, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The A"
1959 Triumph TR3A "The Mistress"
And don't forget mouse traps, mouse repellant, and leave a cat in your garage. Those friggin little critteres can do more damage than you can imagine.

And man that's a nice car! Can you post a few more pictures before you hide it away?

Bill

mgedit Mike Graham
Kemptville, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Sorry Bob, no experience with wire wheels, but moving the car occassionally sounds like a good idea. Cheers, Mike

Jacad Avatar
Jacad Gold Member Barry Shefner
Montreal, QC, Canada   CAN
1959 Triumph TR3A "Loose Wheels"
1976 Triumph TR6 "The Tweetster"
Bob,

Here is what Moss recommends http://www.mossmotoring.com/putting-your-car-into-storage/

Barry
59 TR3A 0TS57675LO - "Loose Wheels"
76 TR6 CF54266U - "The Tweetster"
Website: Triumph TR2-TR3-TR4 www.trtriumph.com/ (sorry for not keeping it current for the past couple of years)

pcsbob Robert Wilkins
Franklin, TN, USA   USA
1957 Triumph TR3 "TR3"
1970 MG MGB "Greenie"
1973 MG MGB
Thank all of you for the replies.

I am still uncertain about leaving the car on the ground or to have it elevated on jacks. Perhaps it does not matter. It have been on the ground for 60 years

I have attached additional pictures of the car. The car is original with the exception of new wire wheels, carpets and tonneau cover. I have the original cover and carpets!. I also have the original buyer's order, repairs receipts, even the paperwork when the car was registered every years since new. A 1956 Buick was the trade in1

Attachments:
2015-06-10 12.52.03.jpg    53.3 KB
2015-06-10 12.52.03.jpg

2015-06-10 12.51.30.jpg    43.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
File Oct 03, 5 12 35 PM.jpeg    40.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Ontario, Canada   CAN
Very Nice,

The car I am working on restoring now is a 59 TR3A, same colour combo. Black with Red Interior and White (Fawn) Top/Boot Cover.

For what its worth....I leave my 60 TR3A on the ground. I do remove carpets, trunk carpet and seat bottoms as well as the battery for the winter.

Cheers
Tush

Auburn, Indiana, USA   USA
Bob:
I have attached garage stored my 54 TR2 for this exact same way for fifteen years:

At gas station add the recommended Sta-Bil to a half or so filled tank then fill the tank so that the incoming gas will stir up the just added Sta-Bil.

Drive around for ten minutes or so to allow the treated gas to get to the lines, pump, carbs and floats.

Drive into the garage onto a 6' X 17' sheet of plastic of 4 or 6 mil thickness. On the plastic is a 2' X 10' carpet scrap to catch any drips.

Pull floor and trunk carpet down to the metal & seat cushions and store in basement.

Stuff a handful of steel wool into tail pipe end and draft tube to keep any errant rodents out.

Detach battery cables and plug in and hook up battery tender.

Before putting on the car cover I just kiss it on the hood ornament and tell it good night till mid April.

I do not bother or start it till mid April since I feel that does nothing but produce condensation that will speed up rusting of the exhaust system.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana
54 TR2LD TS981L

Aridgerunner Avatar
Aridgerunner Silver Member Bill Bussler
Montoursville, PA, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The A"
1959 Triumph TR3A "The Mistress"
Beautiful car with a great history.

If it means anything, I've owned my MGA for fifty years and it has never been stored on jack stands. And that includes many years of storage in an unheated garage and about as many in a heated garage. Never had a problem. Other than those vile creatures called mice.

Bill

mhbva Avatar
mhbva Marc Botzin
Lorton, Virginia, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Monty"
I am truly envious of the condition of this beautiful car. The '58 TR3 I bought in 1963 was already a rust bucket and the 48 spoke wheels (that your car appears to have) had more spokes that were loose than were tight. My guess is that with new wheels you would not have a problem leaving the car on the ground as it is not that heavy, but you may want to call Hendrix Wire Wheel and get their take. I bought some "tyre savers" from Rimmers that are plastic blocks with a curved surface placed under the wheels. Really cheap.

pcsbob Robert Wilkins
Franklin, TN, USA   USA
1957 Triumph TR3 "TR3"
1970 MG MGB "Greenie"
1973 MG MGB
Thank you very much

I am very happy to have had an opportunity to buy an very original 60 year old car like this that has been in the same family since new. The records, pictures and story make this a very special car.

Bob

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster