TR2 door pull

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bvansloun Bruce Van Sloun
Minnetonka, MN, USA   USA
I started trimming on of the doors and have a question on the door pull. In the boxes of parts I got with the pile that was a TR2 at one time, there were two door pulls. These were simple 'jack chain' (figure 8 links, twisted 90o) lengths that were in vinyl sleeves. Easy enough to put one link on the lock post and run the screw through a link on the other end and Bob's your uncle. However... The interior I got from John Skinner has a smaller diameter pull, a piece of round leather belting in a leather sleeve. The sleeve ends are unfinished and a couple of inches of raw leather. How are these supposed to look? Piggot's book isn't that detailed. I could trim off the extra leather, pull out the leather belting and fish through some chain, but it seems this was done the way it was for a purpose. Pictures of the door pull ends of an original car or correctly done one would be most helpful!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
Scroll down to post #70. But, I think the entire thread may interest you...

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?109923-Upholstery-!

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

Thanks for the link! It's a great thread and will be very helpful in my efforts. It would be nice to see what an original door pull looks like, both ends. It would seem unusual for Triumph to just punch a hole in the leather and call it good. It won't take long before it would rip out. Maybe if it was folded over a few times and a grommet used, it would be stronger. I may sneak a thin stainless cable alongside the existing leather belting.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CJD john durant
Strange as it sounds, the heavy leather inner strap with steel hogs at the ends is how the factory did it. Mine is working fine. The key is not to pull up or down on the strap...you grab it and pull forward.

I did remove a couple spring turns on the door handles, so my doors open and close ultra easily and smooth. The repop latches are sprung WAY too stiff to have the doors open or close smoothly. I think I described how to mod the latches in the same thread above.

Nope...post #84 on this thread discusses the latch mod:

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?108693-Recipe-for-a-TR2/page3

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-09 09:38 PM by CJD.

CJD john durant
In case the PM pic didn’t make it, here is how I sewed the end of the pull cord cover...

It is just a continuation of the stitching already done by Jonathon. Not sure if it is original way it was done, but it looks like it should be?!?

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

Thank you for the detailed shot. You're picture and description are most helpful and will be what I do.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster