AutoShrine Sponsor

bobstr3 Avatar
bobstr3 Silver Member Bob Holt
Apache Junction, Arizona, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1973 Honda Street
2003 Nissan Sentra "Ole Yeller"
2004 Mini Cooper "MINIPRL"
At the present time I am repairing my original steering wheel and have filled and sanded all the cracks and will be painting it real soon.

After purchasing my car and driving it for about a year, I got tired of having the steering wheel rub against my legs, just in front of my knees. It made driving the car very uncomfortable, especially when making turns. In the Fall of 1970, I purchased a Moto - Lita steering wheel ( I do not remember if I got it from J C Whitney or the Triumph Dealer in Cincinnati, Ohio?).

I really liked how the smaller diameter of the Moto - Lita, gave the clearance I wanted, so it no longer rubbed against my legs.

In 1986, I bought a bunch of used Triumph parts and there was an original steering wheel in with them,

I am getting close to finishing up my restoration and my original restored steering wheel will be put back onto my car, as I want it to look original. At the present time, I do not plan on putting installing the Moto - Lita, as I want to have the use of the factory hub/turn signal assembly as designed from the factory.

The spare steering wheel I have, was in really bad shape and the plastic rim was beyond repair and It had to be taken completely off. To give me back the clearance I desire, my goal is to cut off the metal ring, shorten up the spokes, weld a new ring into place and then make a wooden rim similar to the Moto- Lita, and also matches the smaller diameter of the Moto - Lita steering wheel. Then I believe I will have the best of both worlds. .

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSCN9516.JPG    53.8 KB
DSCN9516.JPG

DSCN9520.JPG    53.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSCN7066.JPG    93.9 KB
DSCN9515 (2).JPG    66.9 KB
DSCN9510 (2).JPG    65.8 KB
DSCN9522.JPG    57 KB
DSCN9522.JPG    57 KB
DSCN9509.JPG    64.7 KB
ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, New York, USA   USA
In reply to # 1495896 by bobstr3
At the present time, I do not plan on putting installing the Moto - Lita, as I want to have the use of the factory hub/turn signal assembly as designed from the factory.

Hubs for the TR3 are available that have the option of using the original control head...horn & directional for your Moto-Lita wheel. Moss Motors is one place that has them.

In the link, click on the option list and you'll see it listed.

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-06 06:58 AM by ArtL.

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Bob,
How did you remove the plastic from the steel inner ring? I have a spare TR4 wheel that I'm thinking of doing this exact thing to.
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bobstr3 Avatar
bobstr3 Silver Member Bob Holt
Apache Junction, Arizona, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1973 Honda Street
2003 Nissan Sentra "Ole Yeller"
2004 Mini Cooper "MINIPRL"
Hi Art/Doug,

Awhile back, I looked at the Hub Adapter for the original Control Head that Moss has.

I am now retired and have limited extraneous funds to work with. However being a Mechanical engineer with many tools and experience accumulated over my work career, along with more time to do projects now and a purchase price of about $240, is why I concluded this was the way for me to go. I also liked the idea of having an original steering wheel hub and spokes, be the main body of the steering wheel with a wood rim. Then I would have something that was of my own design and "look" like it could have been "from the factory. I do appreciate your comments and am always willing to listen and learn.

To get the plastic rim off I started out using a dremel tool trying various cutting tips and the plastic mostly melted around the cutting tips - a mess!.Then I tried a small hacksaw blade in a blade holder, that held the blade on one end, and this got me about a 1/5th of it cut off; Very time consuming.

What I finally did was take the hack saw and cut around the rim about every 2 inches then heat it up with a heat gun to soften the material. Using a very sharp knife I slowly sliced through the plastic, until I got to the hacksaw cut line and used a pair of channel locks and pulled the material off in that 2" long area. This method also took awhile, but it was easier than the other attempts. A solvent/paint mask was used to keep any fumes from being breathed into my lungs. Then I used 80 Grit sand paper to sand off the small pieces where they were still attached to the round metal ring..

I wish you both success in your efforts,

Bob

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster