AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Starshark Avatar
Starshark Joe Garcia
Gainesville, Georgia, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A "White Knight"
Just now installed new Vacuum Advance and vacuum pipe...all works super...but now to set it...after I warmed the engine up to operating temperature, I screwed in the Advance/Retard knob and the engine started to race a bit, screw it out and it slows down...I have my trusty ancient chrome Penski timing light...what am I looking for? 850 RPM at idle carb settings...am I trying to hear pinging upon acceleration under load? Looking for words of wisdom...How do I know I got Advance/Retard knob set right?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
About 3 -4 degrees initial. Then advance until you get pinging on hard acceleration. Ideally you would like the advance screw to be near center when you are done.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

Starshark Avatar
Starshark Joe Garcia
Gainesville, Georgia, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A "White Knight"
Thanks John,

I'll mess with it until I get no pinging.

Joe

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
On my car I wound up advancing until it shows about 10 degrees advance at idle. I never got pinging, and any more advance made it feel sluggish, so I stopped there. I think today's premium gas is better than it was in the 50's and early '60's, so the "pinging" comes at too far of an advance. Once I got the best feel on the timing using the dial an advance nut...I then re-centered the nut and turned the distributor to get the same 10 degrees with the nut also centered.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster