AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Brakes
  This topic is about my 1960 Triumph TR3A
reddog7 Bob C
Opelousas, LA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A "Red Dog"
Just replaced Brake master cylinder, Both rear brake wheel cylinders and shoes, two front and one rear flexible hoses, bled brake system and now front disc brakes drag to the point that wheels are difficult to rotate by hand when car is on the lift, I did nothing to the calipers but bleed them and install the new hoses. Help

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Try cracking open one of the caliper bleed valves and see if that doesn't release both of them. If so, I suspect you are seeing the action of the "restrictor" valve (which is really a residual pressure valve) mounted on top of the 5-way connection (above the brake light switch).

I disliked the drag so much that I removed the plunger from that valve on both my former 3A and my current TR3. The downside is that you may notice a low brake pedal after a hard corner.

(Sorry the colors are way off. Cheap camera, subsequently replaced.)

PS, also check that you have a bit of free play at the MC, especially if your car has the pedal stop screws installed. The factory deleted them much earlier than your car, but some people put them back on.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-01 06:25 PM by TR3driver.

reddog7 Bob C
Opelousas, LA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A "Red Dog"
Thanks for the info on the brake system restrictor valve. I did open one front bleeder ad it freed up both front wheels. I removed the restrictor valve and removed the internal parts then reinstalled it. Very tight spot to work. Seems to all work fine now. I have owned this TR3A for more than 35 years and thought I knew every part, never too old to learn. Thanks again

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
I actually like that little restrictor, as it frequently keeps the car from rolling when stopped at a light with a slight grade.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1957 Triumph TR3

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links