Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
How do you remove the knob or shaft of the odometer from the speedometer? Although in my TR3 I think this maybe a TR4 Speedo.

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
North Coast Triumph Association
TWOA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0823.JPG    47.1 KB
IMG_0823.JPG

CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
Yes, that is a TR4 unit. There is normally a pin that holds the extension to the shaft in the speedo head. The shaft usually breaks off at the hole for the pin...and it looks like that may have happened to yours. It appears the PO used shrink tubing to re-attach the extension. If so, just scribe it with a sharp knife.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

6TTR3A Frank Conklin
San Diego,CA, USA   USA
This might help.
Frank

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Early reset illustration.jpg    48.7 KB
Early reset illustration.jpg

Pat.L Avatar
Thanks John.

When I cut that sheath back I found a small screw and after I finished taking the speedometer apart that sheath had been shoved so far up the case it was blocking the odometer reset mechanism from working.

My gauge faces are fair and I was going to just use them, but do you sell the stencils for repaints the gauge numbers that you made for your TR2? I wonder if I should try and use the TR3 speedo and Tach in stead of the Tr4 becasue of gearing from the transmission and distributor. The TR4 gauges are in better shape but still need refurbished. The capillary tube was cut off the temperature gauge and i think I can use an electric gauge from a spitfire whose needle also hangs down. I know the curved glass fits and I think the TR3 gauge face will work also.

Thanks again for the reply and your TR2 write up has been a help.

In reply to # 1494787 by CJD Yes, that is a TR4 unit. There is normally a pin that holds the extension to the shaft in the speedo head. The shaft usually breaks off at the hole for the pin...and it looks like that may have happened to yours. It appears the PO used shrink tubing to re-attach the extension. If so, just scribe it with a sharp knife.

Patrick
TWOA

Pat.L Avatar
I think our posts missed one another. but the picture helped, now I know that shrink wrap goes over the spring.

In reply to # 1494794 by 6TTR3A This might help.
Frank[/size][/color]

Patrick
TWOA

CJD john durant
In reply to # 1494801 by Pat.L Thanks John.

When I cut that sheath back I found a small screw and after I finished taking the speedometer apart that sheath had been shoved so far up the case it was blocking the odometer reset mechanism from working.

My gauge faces are fair and I was going to just use them, but do you sell the stencils for repaints the gauge numbers that you made for your TR2? I wonder if I should try and use the TR3 speedo and Tach in stead of the Tr4 becasue of gearing from the transmission and distributor. The TR4 gauges are in better shape but still need refurbished. The capillary tube was cut off the temperature gauge and i think I can use an electric gauge from a spitfire whose needle also hangs down. I know the curved glass fits and I think the TR3 gauge face will work also.

Thanks again for the reply and your TR2 write up has been a help.

In reply to # 1494787 by CJD Yes, that is a TR4 unit. There is normally a pin that holds the extension to the shaft in the speedo head. The shaft usually breaks off at the hole for the pin...and it looks like that may have happened to yours. It appears the PO used shrink tubing to re-attach the extension. If so, just scribe it with a sharp knife.

Hey Patrick. I could, and would be happy to cut the gage stencils for you. On the flat-faced, small gages it should work. On the speedo and tach the faces are cupped, so the stencil has to be stretched...and a stencil cut flat would distort when stretched over the face. Also, I would call my face painting decent, but still not perfect. Most people would not notice the tiny flaws unless you were to point them out...but they are still not perfect. Here is a pic of the gages currently in the TR2, all of which I re-painted the faces:

Just like some cars could be called "20 foot cars", where everything looks perfect from 20 feet, I would call my gage faces "3 foot" faces!?! Because of that I have since found used but original replacement gages, to eventually restore and have the more perfect OEM look. For now, and the foreseeable future, my car will sport the home painted gages, though.

Anyway, long winded explanation to say I would be happy to paint your faces if you remove them and send them to me. I just don't want you to think they will be perfect if I do!?!

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

Pat.L Avatar
Thanks for the offer John. After I disassembled all the gauges and cleaned the faces and glass they are not as bad as I originally thought, so I will stay with them.. Here is a picture of the small gauges I am still assembling the two larger gauges. I need to locate a parts gauge as the good chrome ring for the temp gauge was missing a tab and the ring I temporary put on has a dent in it. I do not think most people will notice but the fuel and temp gauges have been modified. Both are Spitfire gauges with the TR3 face and curved glass. There is a slight modification where the needle protrudes from the back. The needles work fine when the gauges are grounded but I need to double check with the senders. I just set them in the panel to take the picture.

quote=CJD,1494764,1495811]
Hey Patrick. I could, and would be happy to cut the gage stencils for you. On the flat-faced, small gages it should work. On the speedo and tach the faces are cupped, so the stencil has to be stretched...and a stencil cut flat would distort when stretched over the face. Also, I would call my face painting decent, but still not perfect. Most people would not notice the tiny flaws unless you were to point them out...but they are still not perfect. Here is a pic of the gages currently in the TR2, all of which I re-painted the faces:

Just like some cars could be called "20 foot cars", where everything looks perfect from 20 feet, I would call my gage faces "3 foot" faces!?! Because of that I have since found used but original replacement gages, to eventually restore and have the more perfect OEM look. For now, and the foreseeable future, my car will sport the home painted gages, though.

Anyway, long winded explanation to say I would be happy to paint your faces if you remove them and send them to me. I just don't want you to think they will be perfect if I do!?!
[/quote]

Patrick
TWOA

Attachments:
IMG_0869.JPG    46.2 KB
IMG_0869.JPG

CJD john durant
Those look great! Most of the time you can freshen up the original faces with a soft paint brush. The only ones I have seen that need something drastic, like re-painting is when they have gone underwater or sat in the open outdoors for several decades. Nisonger does sell the chrome bezel rings, if you can't find a good used one.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

Pat.L Avatar
Dash is moving along. Except for the gauge pod the vinyl is original. I cleaned it with SEM vinyl and leather cleaner and top coated it with Forever Black trim coating. Forever Black is a pigmented dye and not a petroleum product. I have used their vinyl top product and it keeps an old top looking great for two years or more.

The gauge pod is a new piece of vinyl and the pattern is slightly different. Once it on the car and I do not like it I have a new pod with a textured powder coat for a TR3A.

Patrick
TWOA

Attachments:
Dash.JPG    40.2 KB
Dash.JPG

CJD john durant
Looks nice!

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster