Balky shifting

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mrv8q K Browne
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
Odd behaviour in my normally good shifting TR3. While driving, once out of gear, after pushing in the clutch, it will not go back into any gear. Inexplicably, if I turn off the car, and turn it back on, it will go into gear.
I have no explanation for this behavior.

The poor shifting only occurs after a lengthy drive, 30 minutes or longer. Gearbox works fine upon
cold start up.

I plan on rebuilding the master and slave cylinders, and replacing the hydraulic hose, but I can’t figure out why turning the engine off and on would have any restorative effect on shifting gears.

Any thoughts?

Kevin Browne
TS 58370L

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
What happens when you try to select reverse? Also, does the clutch engage with the pedal close to the floor, or up higher?

I'm thinking that something is dragging, so the spinning engine is also turning the input shaft even with the clutch depressed. Not sure why it only happens hot tho, maybe the pilot bearing binds when it gets hot ???

The later TRs (especially later TR6) seem to often struggle with lack of travel at the clutch slave cylinder, which also makes the clutch engage with the pedal very close to the floor. But that usually isn't a problem with a TR3, as long as the slave is properly adjusted.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Mrv8q K Browne
Thanks, Randall. Reverse or forward gears, all the same. Clutch takeup seems as its always been,
at the midpoint; definitely not low. Shifting has been very slowly getting worse the past 12-18 months,
so it’s time to see if new seals and hose will remedy the problem.

Thanks again!

Kevin Browne
TS 58370L

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
So, do the gears grind, or does the shifter just refuse to move?

Randall

Mrv8q K Browne
No grinding, shifter will move, just not go into any gear. I was surprised as hell when I turned off the car,
turned it on again, and the shifter went into gear prefectly, like nothing had ever happened .

Car would be shift fine afterwards, until the next time it wouldn’t go into gear again.
The longer I drove it, the quicker it would reoccur again. If I kept the car in gear at a red light,
no problem at driving off.

Just hoping rebuilding the master and slave and new hose will fix the problem...

Kevin Browne
TS 58370L

TR3driver Randall Y
Sounds more like a problem in the top cover to me, don't see how a clutch problem could do that. In forward gears, the synchro rings will block the movement if the gear speeds aren't matched (they're sometimes called blocker rings for that reason); but there is no synchro ring on reverse, so any clutch problem would make it just grind. (Original TR3 box didn't have synchro on 1st either, but someone might have swapped in a later one with synchro 1st.)

Randall

Mrv8q K Browne
Definitely original non-synchro 1st gear transmission.

OK, one more thing to check out, and thanks for the advice!

Kevin Browne
TS 58370L

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster