Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mabot Marco B
Miami, FL, USA   USA
Hello

I have a 1958 TR3A and there are currently holds on the hood next to the windshield wipers. I also have the canaster holder for the liquid.

Can anyone confirm if this was a factory option at the time. I’m trying to keep the car 100% original and would like to avoid including non-original options

Thank you!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
charleyf Silver Member Charley Fitch
Redding, California, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "MR.T"
I can not confirm for your exact year. But if you have the holes in the car for the nozzles ,that the car came with the nozzles in place. I know that my 3B came with the full set-up.
Charley

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I'm fairly certain it was an available option at the time, but usually dealer installed. It's mentioned in a 1956 brochure (of options) and TS39781LO (built in late 58) had it.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mabot Marco B
Miami, FL, USA   USA
this is great to know!

Does anyone have any pictures to share? I particularly would be interested in seeing how the switch is installed in the dash.

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Ontario, Canada   CAN
I have seen various location for the plunger when it is installed in the car. I have seen it everywhere from the center gauge cluster or just below on the dash face to over by the heater rheostat.....I am not sure that there was one precise place for it to be installed. Mine was installed over by the heater.

Cheers
Tush

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
It wasn't a switch at all, but a directly hand operated pump. (For most units anyway, some dealers may have installed a different unit.) As Tush said, the dealer may have put it almost any place. However, the most common location seems to have been to the passenger's side of the instrument panel, in the small flat area next to the glove box opening. Sorry I don't have a photo of TS39781LO, but here is a shot posted by TeriAnn on her web site:

http://www.tr3a.info/gallery_TRdetails.htm

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-26 01:49 PM by TR3driver.

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Ontario, Canada   CAN
Front and back of mine on my 60 3A

Cheers
Tush

Attachments:
image.jpeg    28.9 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    48.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1494131 by mabot ....Can anyone confirm if this was a factory option at the time....

The Heritage Certificate , which is prepared from factory records, right? says my 1962 TR3B was equipped with a windscreen washer, although it doesn't say whether it was actually factory installed or dealer installed. It certainly would be a simple operation for the dealer to perform.

The pump plunger is to the right of the center instrument cluster.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

mabot Marco B
Miami, FL, USA   USA
Ok so it seems that the nozzles could have been authentic option of the TR3A...

It also seems that if the car did have the nozzles, the pump plunger seems to Ben next to the glove box. Does everyone agree here?

Thanks again!

charleyf Silver Member Charley Fitch
Redding, California, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "MR.T"
I for one agree with the nozzles being original and the location of the plunger next to the glove box.
So have you found any hole in the metal part of the dash where the plunger would have been? If you have not found a hole here is another possibility---. The nozzles could have been installed to fill the holes in the body -------but---- the rest of the washer equipment was not installed. That would be the plunger in the dash and the water bottle and its holder, which was located on the inner fender just forward of the firewall.
Charley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster