Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mcoomey Avatar
mcoomey Silver Member Michael Coomey
Paxton, MA, USA   USA
Should I use some kind of thread compound on cooling system components like the engine block tap, radiator drain and temperature sending unit to keep them from leaking/seizing?

If so, what is preferred, teflon tape or some kind of brush-on pipe compound?

Michael Coomey
Paxton, MA

'57 TR3

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
Always a good idea. Even if it isn’t needed for sealing, it acts as an anti seize. Either tape or brush on will work well, so whichever you are most comfortable with.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Personally, I prefer the paste. Not a common problem, but if you are a bit sloppy with the tape, it can form strings that break off inside. IMO it's also better at keeping corrosion out of the threads.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mcoomey Avatar
Paxton, MA, USA   USA
Thanks, John & Randall. Should I be concerned about possibly electrically insulating the temperature sending unit from the thermostat housing? It seems that since there is just one wire connection that the body of the unit must be in contact with the housing to complete the circuit.

Michael Coomey
Paxton, MA

'57 TR3

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
The stock TR3 gauge is non-electrical, that "connection" is actually a very small metal tube.
But it's not a problem even if you are using an electrical gauge (I use an early TR4 gauge, which is electrical). The threads will cut through either tape or dope to make a secure connection once the joint is tight.

I should probably add that with the TR3 type bulb, my preference is to use a good copper-based anti-seize, on both the threads and the tapered seat inside the housing. With three different metals in close contact, it's easy for it to corrode until it wont come apart without destroying the delicate sensing bulb (which is part of the reason I use an electrical gauge smiling smiley ). And in this case, the threads don't actually need to seal; they just clamp the bulb into the housing and it's the bulb that seals.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

mcoomey Avatar
Paxton, MA, USA   USA
Thanks, Randall. It never occurred to me that it might not be an electrical connection. The new one I got from Moss looks like it must be the electric TR4 version that you mentioned. Perhaps I'll just go with that and see if I can find an electric gauge for the dash.

Michael Coomey
Paxton, MA

'57 TR3

Attachments:
tr3_tmp_sender.jpg    19 KB
tr3_tmp_sender.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster