AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

1959 TR 3A starter key switch
  This topic is about my 1959 Triumph TR3A
jailtrail J.A. ILIFF
North Fort Myers, Florida, USA   USA
1959 Triumph TR3A "Mine"
1959 Triumph TR3A
Tried to start my 1959 TR 3A and the ignition came on briefly then went out and the car would not start, I have no electric to anything, is my key switch bad or what?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Maybe, but I would be more suspicious of the connections to the battery, control box and ammeter. If the headlights don't work, there has to be a problem farther up the line (they don't depend on the ignition switch). If the horns don't work either, then there has to be a problem near the battery (they don't even depend on the ammeter or control box).

Assuming the horns don't work, connect your DMM (DC volts range) or test light directly across the battery terminals. If it doesn't light (or show close to 12 volts), the battery is dead. Check again on the battery post clamps. If that's OK, then next try from the top post on the starter solenoid to the 'E' terminal on the control box. If that shows no power, there is a bad connection somewhere between there and the battery. Etc, etc.

PS, if the car has been recently painted, check for a good connection between the battery ground strap and the firewall. Paint does not conduct!

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

TR3barton Avatar
TR3barton John Taylor
Greenfield, MA, USA   USA
Hello,

If your car still has a "woven" ground strap at the battery I would remove it and toss it.
Next what type of ground strap do you have for the motor. Same action.

This should be a simple issue.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jailtrail J.A. ILIFF
North Fort Myers, Florida, USA   USA
1959 Triumph TR3A "Mine"
1959 Triumph TR3A
Thanks loads for all the help, it was a bad ground connection, after I re-tighten the ground wire to the motor my baby started right up.

reddog7 Bob C
Opelousas, LA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A "Red Dog"
Several years ago while on a short drive, my 1960 TR3A started running very rough, back firing and quitting than starting up again etc. it finally quit and would not start.. got towed home. Turns out the internals of the ignition switch just fell apart, only lasted 55years. Ignition was on and off causing rough engine running. Engine will turn over but not start with ignition switch off..

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
In reply to # 1495380 by reddog7 . Engine will turn over but not start with ignition switch off..
That shouldn't be true. The starter push button is supposed to get power from the ignition switch, making the starter not work if the key isn't on. You might want to double check your wiring.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

6TTR3A Frank Conklin
San Diego,CA, USA   USA
reddog might have been referring to the solenoid "push button' rather than the dash
"push button" The solenoid is handy for all kinds of things that require the engine to turn over w/o starting.
Frank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links