AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

differential
  This topic is about my 1957 Triumph TR3
Trusty Paul Monette
Bad Homburg, Hessen, Germany   DEU
On the diff on my 57 TR3, I removed half shafts on both sides. Marked right and left including shims. Bearings, bearing housing and hub kept on half shaft. Bearings, etc. looked very good so I didn't dismantle anything. I replaced the inner oil seal, both sides. Took the lid off the diff, rotated everything, looked in very good condition so I put on a new gasket and put the lid back on.

When I put the half shafts back in, on both sides, they slide in perfectly until the last quarter inch or so. Both sides. I assumed my new seals were not set properly so I tapped them in more. No change. I removed one seal completely and tried the half shaft again. It still won't go in all the way.

I tried persuading it with a big rubber hammer with no success. Any idea what I did wrong?

Thanks, Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Stupid question : Did you push the bearing housing towards the main housing? 1/4" is about how far it can move on the axle, with the hub installed.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Trusty Paul Monette
Randall, After it wouldn't move the last 1/4" or so, I put In the six bolts and tried pulling it in with them. I stopped when it felt like it was metal against metal. I was afraid of cracking the housing. I tried that on both sides. Am I right, the bolts should have pulled the housing in?

The diff is out and easy to get at so I'm thinking I'll put it on the bench and take the lid off again. Maybe I'll be able to see if there is an obstruction of some kind. All I did was rotate the gears and look the first time do I know I didn't leave a wrench in there. The 1/4" gap is about equal at both half shaft ends.

Thanks for help, Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Yeah, normally you should be able to just push it home with your fingers. It does have to fit over the lip, though, which usually means lifting the shaft up a little.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Trusty Paul Monette
I'll try lifting and jiggling things around. Bolt holes seem to line up perfectly but there might be a bit of wiggle room. All mating surfaces are clean and I'm using the right bolts.

I'll be at my garage in a couple hours and try again.

Incidentally, I ruined a new seal by using a 2"? piece of pipe and a large hammer to press it in. The pipe was a bit too small. The new neoprene? seals might be more effective but are cheap compared to the old steel with leather ones. I used the old steel seal and pipe and hammer to press in the new seal which worked perfectly. No damage to new seal. I made a cut through the old metal seal with a Dremel so it's relatively easy to remove after new seal is seated.

Thanks again, Paul

Trusty Paul Monette
Randall, The jiggling did it. Thanks. Got a big laugh out of that I can tell you. Red face too. Paul

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster