AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

heater valve angled adapter
  This topic is about my 1957 Triumph TR3
mcoomey Avatar
mcoomey Silver Member Michael Coomey
Paxton, MA, USA   USA
Is the heater valve supposed to screw directly into the head? My engine head has what looks like about a 30° angled adapter between the head and valve. It looks original, but I've looked through many pictures including one in the Factory Service Manual and I don't see it.

Michael Coomey
Paxton, MA

'57 TR3

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
tr3_heater_valve.jpg    42.7 KB
tr3_heater_valve.jpg

Jacad Avatar
Jacad Gold Member Barry Shefner
Montreal, QC, Canada   CAN
1959 Triumph TR3A "Loose Wheels"
1976 Triumph TR6 "The Tweetster"
Michael,

I have never seen an angled adapter on the heater valve, the valve screws directly into the head. Maybe a PO rigged it up with an aftermarket or home made heater.

Barry
59 TR3A 0TS57675LO - "Loose Wheels"
76 TR6 CF54266U - "The Tweetster"
Website: Triumph TR2-TR3-TR4 www.trtriumph.com/ (sorry for not keeping it current for the past couple of years)

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
The angled adapter was used on the TR4, apparently because it's valve did not have a removable outlet. That does appear to be an original TR4 part (a common 45 degree plumbing "street ell" will work, but looks different).

Perhaps you have a TR4 cylinder head and the adapter was left in place?

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
untitled.JPG    10.9 KB
untitled.JPG

Jacad Avatar
Randall

You are right about the elbow ....... An interesting combo as the photo itself shows what appears to be a TR3 brass valve.

Barry
Website: Triumph TR2-TR3-TR4 www.trtriumph.com/ (sorry for not keeping it current for the past couple of years)

mcoomey Avatar
Paxton, MA, USA   USA
Randall,

Thanks for figuring out yet another puzzle for me! I don't have any history on the car, so I'm not sure what I've got and it sure looks like it's a TR4 head as you and Barry pointed out. The attached photo shows a number (511695) that is stamped on the head. I'd be interested to know if anyone can cross-reference that number to a car and year.

The other photo is a partial screen grab from Elin Yakov's youTube series on TR4 Engine rebuild that clearly shows the adapter.

For my part, I think I'm going to leave it in place as long as I can still get the heater plumbing to hook up. I've discovered this anomaly too late in the game and I don't want to risk damaging the head at this point.

Michael Coomey
Paxton, MA

'57 TR3

Attachments:
tr3_head_serial_num.jpg    51 KB
tr3_head_serial_num.jpg

tr4_youtube__engine_rebuild.jpg    28.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Jacad Avatar
Michael,

The stamped number refers to the Triumph part number and is not specific to a particular car. There is a casting number which is located on right side under the exhaust manifold and should be a 5 digit number starting with 5XXXX. From that casting, the head was further machined and/or assembled and stamped with an actual part number. Bill Piggot identifies the stamped number 511695 as TR4/4A in his book titled Collectors Originality Guide per below.

This info put together by TeriAnn on the different types of heads may be of help in identifying what you have http://www.tr3a.info/FAQ_heads.htm and the differences between the other TR2-TR4A heads
http://www.tr3a.info/FAQ_heads.htm BTW she mentions that a small number of part number 511695 heads were made as Limited run Competition heads. (These would have a small upside down part number)

Barry

Attachments:
511695.jpg    35.7 KB
511695.jpg

mcoomey Avatar
Paxton, MA, USA   USA
Thanks, Barry. The site you directed me to confirms that it is indeed a TR4 head. The raised flat area pointed to in TerriAnn's figure 4 is where the 511695 part number is stamped.

Now this really opens up a can of worms for me! I'm wondering what I've got for an engine block. I looked for the 5XXXX casting number that you referenced (had to remove the starter to see it all) but instead found the numbers pictured in the attached photo - "A317 301435", with the manufacturer's name "BILCHROME" beneath.

The engine serial number (TS16866E) found next to the coil is also shown in an attached photo. I had previously confirmed that this is a valid TR3 engine number.

So it looks like I've got a TR3 block with a TR4 head and I've gone and installed a TR4 gearbox! I guess the car is more like a 1957 TR3½ ! smiling smiley

Michael Coomey
Paxton, MA

'57 TR3

Attachments:
teriann_tr4_head_diagram.jpg    8.7 KB
teriann_tr4_head_diagram.jpg

tr3_block_casting_number.jpg    57.3 KB
tr3_block_serial_number.jpg    47.5 KB
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Happens all the time, nothing to worry about IMO. That's an earlier engine block, but it's late enough to have all the improvements (cam bearing inserts, full flow oil filter, etc).

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Jacad Avatar
Michael,

I may have it wrong about the location and number of the head casting, it would appear that the casting number (at least for the TR4/4A head) is located on the top of the head under the valve cover just above #8 Valve as is discussed on the TR4 forum in this thread http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?7,1297721

Barry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-20 02:57 PM by Jacad.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster