Rear hub end float & DTI

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ShortBulge Brian LeBlanc
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
I'm just getting axle in after new inner seal and clean/painting brake parts etc...

My 1st time touching a DTI..on hub

-?'s...
-1st : need to but both side in ...with existing shims and 6 bolts to torque .
- 2nd: put on DTI and pull in and out to measure play on both sides

...no turning hub/wheel?
also, i painted hub surface ...guess that will change play?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Ontario, Canada   CAN
Hi Brian,

That's pretty much what I did. There is going to be some trial and error. You will get better at putting the axles in and taking them out cool smiley

Here was me trying to muddle through it...

Cheers
Tush

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
No real need to do it twice, should be the same on both sides. Yes, you have to have both axles fully installed (but don't turn the lock tabs in case you need to adjust the shim pack). It's best to write down the thickness of each pack, so that you can add a shim to the thinner one, or subtract a shim from the thicker one (to keep them roughly the same).

Painting the hub won't make any difference; but painting either the axle or bearing housings, or the brake backing plates, could add a bit of clearance. Probably not enough to worry about. But the axle tips and the block they ride on can also wear (especially if the oil hasn't been changed or allowed to run low), so you may need to remove a shim anyway.

A magnetic stand for the DTI will sorta work if you remove the brake shoes, but last time around I picked up one of these from HF
https://www.harborfreight.com/clamping-dial-indicator-93051.html

I don't usually like to buy precision stuff from HF, but it seemed to work OK once I supplied the missing part.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ShortBulge Brian LeBlanc
...I'm not clear about the OIL...

Differential flows out to Axle tubes?

CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
Yes, it is open to the center casing, so the oil is free to migrate in and out of the tubes. Thus the 2 seals around the greased bearings.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

ShortBulge Brian LeBlanc
hmm...

i changed Dif oil 2 months ago... before pulling axle

but ... didn't get any noticable oil coming out of axle

and...no oil slick under rear end

CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
If the axle is level the oil will be in the center casing. If you have the diff tilted it will run out of the axle tube. So when I say "free to migrate" there is nothing holding it in the center, but the level of the oil is below the level of the axle tubes, so it will not migrate there except in cornering or "tilting" of the car/axle.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-18 09:19 AM by CJD.

ShortBulge Brian LeBlanc
CJD:That must be the 1st thing I got level !

- 3driver; what was the missing part?

- Tush; where is the complete inventory of your clips!

...just rented a house to a guy yesterday who happens to be a mechanic who has the DTI

..Existing shims on car: about 5 real thin ones on drivers side; 2 "thick" ones on pasenger

evidently wheel came off driver's side in car's history ..looking at inner seal, backplate, and brakedrum...but no body damage

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
In reply to # 1492531 by ShortBulge CJD:That must be the 1st thing I got level !

- 3driver; what was the missing part?
Sorry, I forget the details. Something simple, like a spacer or nut. But without it, the flexible "goose neck" wouldn't tighten up. Easier to fabricate one than to return to the store.

Quote: ..Existing shims on car: about 5 real thin ones on drivers side; 2 "thick" ones on pasenger
Probably OK. They come in different thicknesses, from .006" all the way up to .031". The centering doesn't have to be precise, just roughly similar (not all shims on one side). Basically the block 17 in the diagram below is what rides between the axle 39 ends (only one axle is shown). The shaft 15 (which is the pivot for the spider gears 13) passes through the center of the block 17.

When you turn a corner, the outer wheel transmits all of the side force to it's axle, through the center block, the other axle and the wheel bearing on the inner wheel. If the shim packs are too far off, the block winds up hitting the shaft 15 (which the book calls a pin) instead.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Attachments:
untitled.JPG    26.7 KB
untitled.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster