Tr3 overdrive transmission

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tharper Tim Harper
Huntersville, NC, USA   USA
I have a spare tr3 overdrive with the accompanying switch. It goes through all the gears and spins freely it appears to be in good working condition. What would be a fair asking price if I decided to part with it?
Thanks
Tim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1089.JPG    42.9 KB
IMG_1089.JPG

IMG_1112.JPG    49.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1111.JPG    47.8 KB
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
That appears to actually be an early TR2 gearbox. The single lockout switch probably indicates that OD only works in 4th gear (as original on the early cars). The 1275 part number on the OD indicates the same thing (as does the low serial number).

Sorry, I've no idea what it is worth. To me, lacking 2nd OD makes it worth a lot less; but to someone doing a correct restoration of an early (before TS5980) TR2 it might be worth more.

Note that while it will fit early TR3, it won't fit later TR3 (after TS50000) and TR3A/B unless the starter is also changed.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
Somethings odd about the solenoid mount. I’m thinking maybe off a stag or other non TR?

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 1491653 by CJD Somethings odd about the solenoid mount. I’m thinking maybe off a stag or other non TR?
I'm not seeing the difference; looks just like the photo in the workshop manual. What do you see different?

Stags had the body of the solenoid mounted horizontally, plus have the starter bulge (even though they don't use it). Might be off something else, though, I'm not familiar with other Standard-Triumph cars.

Randall

Attachments:
IMG_1112.JPG    30.3 KB
IMG_1112.JPG

untitled.JPG    60.3 KB
CJD john durant
Well, compare it to an actual TR2...

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

TR3driver Randall Y
Yup, that sure looks like the later style cover. Maybe someone had to replace it? Does your OD have P/N 1275 on the plate? Is your commission before TS5980 ?

Even the OD service manual is explicit about the TR2 having a cover over the lever.

Randall

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-13 12:08 AM by TR3driver.

Attachments:
untitled.JPG    42.3 KB
untitled.JPG

CJD john durant
It’s TS5248. I have no reason to believe it was changed, especially since the rock deflector was there. I could see changing a cover (as Pigot and others mention how easy it is to break the cover)...but only a rare bird would know to buy and add the deflector.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

CJD john durant
Can't find a pic of the plate...It sit under the shifter lever when all is together, but it matched everything I found for a TR2. Here's a pic of the large style accumulator piston to show it is the early style OD:

I can also show at least a dozen illustrations in the service manual that are incorrect. Anyone else have a TR2 OD to wiegh in?

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

carpecursusII Drew H
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA   USA
While I am inclined to side with John, as I have never seen a cover plate on a TR overdrive (of which I have 5 in my possession), the spare parts catalog seems to depict the cover plate being correct. Look at Plate AT http://www.revingtontr.com/tr2/triumph-catalogue/at
If you have a copy of the book laying around look on page 142 of the factory numbering and view PN AT2. It says it was fitted up to Comm #2673. This is a P/N for the solenoid which appears to have not had a cover(the rubber sleeve on top, not the plate on the side) and then after 2673 the covered solenoid we are all familiar with seems to have become the replacement. The part shown by the OP is the early uncovered solenoid which matches the drawn picture in the parts manual. It would then seem, we are all correct, John has what is correct for his car and depending on the serial number of that gearbox the OP has what is correct for him.

As far as value is concerned I can say this will be tough, single speed OD is much less desirable in the grand scheme of things and a TR2 gearbox is missing a few case upgrades which helped prevent cracking under heavy load.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-13 06:59 PM by carpecursusII.

Tharper Tim Harper
Huntersville, NC, USA   USA
Thanks for all the information, I always learn something new on here. I have a TR2 project car but the VIN is TS6743 so I don't think this would have come with the car originally. Maybe it would be worth holding onto for that car? I have put the TR2 up for sale so maybe the buyer will be interested in the gearbox as well. I'm finding all types of parts for TR2/3 that I didn't know I had.
Thanks
Tim

TR3driver Randall Y
Hmm, was the early version of the SPC different in this area? I have the 4th edition, and it indicates a _rubber_ cover that was fitted from TS2673 onward. I assume that is the rubber bellows that goes over the solenoid plunger, rather than the metal cover over the cast housing (as shown on the other page).

Otherwise, I really like the explanation that the solenoid bracket changed at TS2673. IIRC the later bracket has a notch just to accommodate that rubber seal/cover; it's not likely they would have included the notch if there was nothing to go in it. That certainly explains the known facts; and I've found other early changes that are not mentioned in the 4th ed of the SPC (as well as some very late ones).

Randall

Attachments:
untitled.JPG    9.9 KB
untitled.JPG

untitled1.JPG    32.9 KB
carpecursusII Drew H
My understanding of the rubber cover is just what it sounds like, the rubber that covers the top of the solenoid with the wire coming through it.

carpecursusII Drew H
What is the number stamped on that gear box, that may help solve this?

CJD john durant
Makes sense. I re-checked one of the restoration books. They say the TR’s all have vertical solenoids. The saloons all had horizontal solenoids. So it’s definitely a TR2, and obviously an early model. Randall’s initial post was correct.

On the thought of value...my TR2 has no records in the British Heritage. I am sure many other early TR2’s are the same, with no definitive record. This would be worth a good bit to someone with a pre-27xx car without an OD, but who would like to install one that could be correct. Of course that is likely fewer than 500 cars on the planet?!?

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-13 11:57 PM by CJD.

2long Dan M
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA   USA
If you are looking for it to go to a good home, my Doretti's original early gearbox (TS 1076) is non-overdrive, and I would sure love the parts that make it an overdrive. That would be the overdrive unit, the mains shaft, and there are quite a few other important bits that I would need. Just a thought. And an example of someone who wants an early overdrive that operates on top only. I have that on my TR2 and I just love it as a magic electric top gear when I am on the freeway!

Cheers

Dan

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster