AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR3 Fan Belt Replacement
  This topic is about my 1958 Triumph TR3A
DocB Y B
Birmingham, AL, USA   USA
I'm certain this is a problem many in this forum will experience so I thought it would be good to start a new thread.
While on a Sunday drive, my fan belt broke. After getting a tow home, I proceeded to replace the belt (I always keep a spare) with a non-cogged style belt.
I didn't use a cogged belt because I'm trying to maintain originality and I believe they are noisier when running.
As most experienced TR3 owners know, the replacement belt will be VERY tight.
After loosening the bolts on the generator, I worked the new belt around the fan blade, etc.
I then tried prying the new belt onto the generator pulley.....without destroying the belt, the pulley, or scratching the engine bay.
Moss Motors offers a nice instruction on installing a cogged belt...but not for a standard-style belt. I'll attach that instruction to this post.
After about an hour, I decided the easiest solution would be to remove the generator completely, put the belt on the generator pulley, and then reinstall the generator.
This solution worked well with the only problem being that the tight/stiff new belt blocked the lower front bolt hole of the generator mount.
After struggling with that bolt for at least an hour, I finally got it lined up and threads started, tightened all of the bolts, adjusted the belt, and did a final tightening.
So, did I miss an easier way to get all of this accomplished? Any tips to pry a standard, non-cogged belt onto the generator pulley?
If I had to do it again, I would immediately remove the generator rather than trying to pry the belt on but surely there has to be a better way.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Fan Belt Supplemental Instructions -Moss Motors.pdf    115.6 KB

1958_TR3A_PresMansion 72dpi.jpg    12.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
IMO the belts being sold today (by Moss et al) are NOT the same as original, and lead to exactly the problem you describe. Original belts (and the replacements available back in the 70s) were significantly smaller in both height and width, as well as more flexible. The belts being sold today are from a large truck (semi) application.

My point of view is that, if you have to use a wrong belt anyway, might as well use one that at least fits properly.

That said, you might try fitting the belt around the crank and generator pulleys, then up over the nose of the water pump. Then use a small screwdriver or similar to start prying it onto the groove part of the WP pulley, followed by bumping the engine over with the button on the solenoid to finish walking it into the groove. Watch your fingers, but try to hang onto the screwdriver.

Something I wanted to try, but wound up not having a chance, was this belt
http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/Ferguson-TEA20_Fan-Belt_641696M1.html

For those of you who don't know, the Ferguson TEA20 tractor used an engine that is a close relative to the TR2-4 engine. For awhile, Harry Ferguson was buying his engines from Standard. I can't swear the belt is the same, but it certainly looked like it. My TEA20 is actually wearing an early TR3 generator (which fit perfectly) and the belt from YT went on easily.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster