Original lever shocks 59 TR3A

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Fertman7 Richard Kopec
Montclair, New Jersey, USA   USA
Original lever shocks never refilled or checked in self restoration. Front end rebuild not to long ago not done by me so not familiar with front shocks if any. Ride (especially rear) is starting to get to me and my ass. Bought some fork oil to try and have them refilled but not an easy task obviously so never done. Suggestions please not necessarily interested in keeping it stock and will not do the work myself. Thanks in advance this site and its pros are great.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Ontario, Canada   CAN
Hi Richard,

Perhaps this will help?

Cheers
Tush

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Just topping up the shocks is a bit of a chore, but not all that difficult. Should be part of your annual service, when you also top up the differential, lube the rear wheel bearings, springs, hand brake and so on. Jack up the rear and support it; then remove the road wheels. Clean the area around the shock filler plugs, then remove the plug. (ISTR the plug is a British size, maybe 1/4 Whitworth?) A pump type oil can is an easy way to get oil into the shock with a minimum of spillage.
https://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-flexible-spout-oil-can-1113.html

Chances are, if they don't obviously leak, the shocks are still working well enough. But if not, send them off to Kai at
http://www.nosimport.com/Lever-shocks-remanufactured/triumph-tr3-tr4-lever-shocks
They will rebuild them literally better than new, with roller bearings and modern seals. Be sure to contact them first and get the order form, as there are a lot more options than you would think.

But your harsh ride is more likely due to ignoring periodic maintenance on the springs. Rust between the leaves adds friction, that can make the ride much harsher than it should be. (The book calls for this every 6000 miles, but I would recommend at least yearly even if you don't drive that much. Rust never sleeps.)

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-09 02:54 PM by TR3driver.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
untitled.JPG    11.4 KB
untitled.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Triumph Spitfire 4 MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links