Balancing SUs

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Usually, "all the way" is too much. For your first time, I suggest removing the air cleaners so you can see how far the piston actually moves (the pin also has lost motion) and move it no more than 1/8". Correct adjustment is when you can hear the engine rpm rise slightly, then fall back to what it was. If it rises and stays up, that carb is too rich. If it immediately falls, that carb is too lean.

When everything is right, the adjustment is rather sensitive, you should be able to tell the difference for even one flat (1/6 turn) of the nut. If that doesn't happen, there is usually something else wrong, like valve lash or ignition timing.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ric350 Avatar
ric350 Jim Feeney
Holmdel, NJ, USA   USA
Qim,

+1 to what Randal has said.

Here are some SU tuning links I have used.

http://sucarb.co.uk/technical-hs-type-carburetter-description-adjustments

http://www.sucarbs.com/?page_id=20

Jim

qim Qim B
Lisbon, lisbon, Portugal   PRT
Thank you both

May I go off the subject and address timing? I have a test lamp and want to have another go at it tomorrow. Can you confirm that it is OK to clip one side to the distributor nut (red circle in attached image) and the other clip to the windscreen wiper motor?

Thank you

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Dizzy.jpg    41.9 KB
Dizzy.jpg

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Yes, but you'll have to look for different events depending on where you attach at the wiper motor. Makes more sense to me to just clip onto both side terminals on the coil. Then the spark happens just when the light goes out.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

qim Qim B
Lisbon, lisbon, Portugal   PRT
Hi Randall

Thanks.

I am going to try to follow to the letter

http://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/ign-timing2.htm

I tried it before with one side of the clip on the dizzy; the other attached to the removed white wire of the coil and got in a mess as the dizzy went in the opposite direction. In the end I tuned via successive turns of the vernier.

Now, I want to do it right but get all kinds of suggestions including clipping on the battery (instead of windscreen wiper motor)

So, if I am to clip on the dizzy as for the image that I sent, what is the best place to attache the other side to achieve the earth?

Thanks again

LATER

I went ahead with the timing using the test lamp but it looks as if the result is not that good. First, I moved the dizzy backwards and forwards until the light lit up. the dizzy was in a strange position pointing towards Nº1 plug. I could not start the car. Then, I tried it again but going the other way until the light went off and then lit again. The dizzy seemed in more of an parallel position in relation to the engine. I could start the car and looked as if it was OK.

However, when I took it for a drive it took some time to settle while the engine warmed up and I remembered that after doing the timing based on the timing mark being exactly in line with the pointer, that I should advance the timing with the vernier some 4º. I did, by stages 2º + 2º + 3 º + 3º by which time it started pinking badly. I took it back again by stages and now it is around 3º advance to the original timing.

The car is running reasonably well, maybe still with slight pinking BUT missing some beats every now and then. What could be causing that missing? Still too advanced? It also ran on on switching off, until I retarded it to the current position.

It may be of importance to note that I attached one side of the test lamp to the dizzy nut that come from the coil and the other, on the first try to the nut that comes from the windscreen wiper motor to the body (earth) and the second time to the positive side of the battery.

Also, that I set the points before touching the timing and now wonder if I may have left the gap too narrow. Would that account for the occasional miss of the engine? Only occasional.

MUCH LATER

Just realized that in the processo fmoving the dizzy the vacuum pipe came off... which I assume was responsible for the problems. The car is now apparently running OK.

Thank you

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-23 03:44 PM by qim.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster