Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

johnstydo Avatar
johnstydo John Styduhar
Hermitage, PA, USA   USA
You can't use a TR4A gearbox on a TR3 or TR4 without changing the flywheel, clutch disk and pressure plate.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mcoomey Avatar
mcoomey Silver Member Michael Coomey
Paxton, MA, USA   USA
John,

What should I be looking at for compatibility issues? I got a new TR3/4 clutch plate, but used the exiting flywheel and pressure plate. Everything went together OK, but has not yet been run of course. Perhaps I've actually got a compatible TR4 gearbox and not a 4A? I was just going by what I was told -- and that was 35 years ago! Can you tell from the photos what it is?

Michael Coomey
Paxton, MA

'57 TR3

Attachments:
engine_gearbox.jpg    48.1 KB
engine_gearbox.jpg

CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
You’re good. The TR3 tranny nose sleeve is too long to be used with a TR4 diaphram pressure plate.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3barton Avatar
TR3barton John Taylor
Greenfield, MA, USA   USA
I have cut TR3 nose sleeves with a saw. Just saying.....works. I have also used a lathe.

I think the TR3 Flywheel is lighter than the TR4a. I often drill TR3 wheels to take the TR4a clutch.

johnstydo Avatar
johnstydo John Styduhar
Hermitage, PA, USA   USA
Either way works as long as you get all the commensurate parts to convert to the later clutch setup if you have the tranny out of the car. The feel of the later model pressure plate is lighter and there is more of a selection of disks and plates in that type.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster