Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cwacwa Avatar
cwacwa Bill A
Pattersonville, New York, USA   USA
Looking for bearing assembly (bearings and races) for steering box of my TR3. It's part no. 129-108 in the Moss catalog, but Moss no longer has the item. Any suggestions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-30 07:19 PM by cwacwa.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
According to my Moss catalog, 129-108 is a bearing in the steering box. Is that the one you mean?

If so, you can usually replace the balls individually (pry the fingers of the cage open just enough to R&R the balls, then gently bend them back). I forget the size offhand, but a bag of balls is under $10 at MMC Or, Rimmers is taking orders ("expected soon" ) https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-60371

TRF claims to have the cups in stock (60373). Rimmers has them cheaper, but I've had quality & fit problems from them in the past, and it's a lot easier to return things to PA smiling smiley

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

cwacwa Avatar
cwacwa Bill A
Yes, it's bearings and races for the steering box (not gearbox) I'm looking for. Thanks for figuring that out. (I corrected my posting.) What is TRF? I'm not familiar with that supplier. I checked with Rimmers. They are out of stock. Thanks very much for your response.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SASSAMON Avatar
SASSAMON Silver Member Roger Colson
Ashland, MA, USA   USA
1957 Triumph TR3 "Bettie"
TRF is short for The Roadster Factory. A supplier of parts for our Triumphs based out of Armagh PA USA.

TRF

Charles Runyon, the owner, owns several Triumphs and is a force in making sure that parts will be available for our cars. Many parts now being re-manufactured are due to Charles work.

TRF also rebuilds parts such as sidescreens. Makes high quality carpet sets and trys to reproduce parts as close to original as possible.

TRF also sponsors the Summer Party which is several days where British cars and owners converge on Armagh for Social, Driving, and Show events.

The website is not as friendly as others, no exploded pictures to look at and order a part. Instead TRF uses the original Triumph part numbers which can be found in the spare parts manual, which is the exploded pictures that the other websites use. The spare parts manuals are available for purchase or you may find a link to a pdf copy online. Randall may post a link soon and explain other benefits available from TRF.

Yes, I am a TRF booster and am a member of the TRF Car Club.

Roger Colson
SASSAMON
1957TR3 TS21383L "Bettie"

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Here's a link to the factory Spare Parts Catalogue (SPC) in PDF format
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffMWQ4N2EzZGQtNjc0Ny00YmE2LWFiN2UtZWYzMjNjNGFiYzY4

It's kind of big (80Mb), sometimes Google reports that they can't scan it for viruses. But I've never found any smiling smiley
My suggestion is to download it to your hard drive, but check back from time to time. I have been trying to improve it with things like diagrams for later parts, when the fit strikes me. (If you find a problem, or want to suggest an improvement, feel free to PM or email me.)

Once you have the part number in hand, you can search the TRF database at https://secure.zeni.net/trf/
Look for status 'CUR' (for current), which means the part is either in stock or expected to be available on short notice. They have had problems in the past with parts not being in stock, but seem to be doing much better now. If they do find a part is not immediately available, you'll get an email giving you the option of cancelling that part of the order, or paying now and waiting for the part to come in. The nice part about backorders is that they guarantee the price, and also pay shipping.

I think Roger covered benefits pretty well, except that Charles' sons also help with the business. It hasn't happened yet, but it appears to me that Albert has been taking more and more responsibility and probably will take over completely when Charles decides to retire. Note that the "several Triumphs" includes a nice TR3A, which he drove personally all the way to California for VTR/TRfest 2009. He also has one of the LeMans cars (with the 'Sabrina' engine) that is slowly being restored to original.

There is a newsletter you can sign up for, with weekly specials and assorted other news.

Once last thing, if you are starting on a major restoration, you might want to check out Charles' "Customer Investment Program". In addition to a great return on your investment, you get a 33% discount on most parts!
http://the-roadster-factory.com/TRFinvestment.php

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

cwacwa Avatar
cwacwa Bill A
Thank you, Roger and Randall, for all the info on The Roadster Factory. Quite an impressive company. Perhaps we should have used them for the parts need for my restoration, but the shop that did most of the work deals almost exclusively with Moss, it seems. Anyway, I'll give them first consideration for a new top and my side curtain restoration when I get around to that. I'll also be looking into their investment program with 8% return! As for the needed steering box parts, I checked with TRF and found they have the races, but not the bearing assemblies (only the individual bearings for DIY repair). Neither do Rimmer Bros. or Revington have them. So I'm still searching.

Jacad Avatar
Jacad Gold Member Barry Shefner
Montreal, QC, Canada   CAN
1959 Triumph TR3A "Loose Wheels"
1976 Triumph TR6 "The Tweetster"
Anyone know what the ID and OD sizes are for the original cage bearings? I wonder if any of these could be used as a replacement? https://www.rainbowprecisionproducts.com/bb-thrust-bearings#1

Barry
59 TR3A 0TS57675LO - "Loose Wheels"
76 TR6 CF54266U - "The Tweetster"
Website: Triumph TR2-TR3-TR4 www.trtriumph.com/ (sorry for not keeping it current for the past couple of years)

CFMTR3A Avatar
CFMTR3A Carl M
Tampa, FL, USA   USA
Did you actually contact Revington? I purchased some 'used' in June even though their website showed out of stock.

cwacwa Avatar
cwacwa Bill A
Thanks to the forum and Dave K of Bristol, CT, I now have the bearings and races needed to repair my steering box! Dave saw the posting, contacted me, and we did a deal. Thanks again to Dave and the forum.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster