AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Oil Filter issue
  This topic is about my 1960 Triumph TR3A
DEW Avatar
DEW Silver Member Dennis White
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada   CAN
While I was changing my oil before I park the car for the winter, I discovered a very troubling problem with one brand of filter.
I still run the canister style of filter. The Powertune brand of filter part # RGFE104 inner diameter is too small to fit over the inner shoulder of the filter base. This prevents the filter from seating and allows oil to bypass the filter. If you do not check the filter fit before installation, you would not realize there is a problem, as the canister will still fit normally. You are then effectively running without a filter. The ID of this filter (I checked two of them) is 1.240". By my measurements the neck is about 1.295". The ID of a WIX filter is 1.312". The pictures attached show the measurements and how the filter does not seat on the filter base like the WIX does. The supplier, when told them about this, just said "these filters have been used for a long time with no issues". Unless you check the filter fit over the neck as my pictures show, you will not know you have a problem.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1390.JPG    36.6 KB
IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG    34.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1391.JPG    35.9 KB
IMG_1392.JPG    39.5 KB
IMG_1393.JPG    29.1 KB
IMG_1394.JPG    28.5 KB
fiddler482 Michael S. Byce Jr.
Canfield, Ohio, USA   USA
Would the filter in question be the same filter as the one provided by Moss part #950-580 a GFE104?

DEW Avatar
DEW Silver Member Dennis White
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada   CAN
Michael
I don't know which brand of filter Moss sell for the TR3. My main point is to check the fit of the filter over the stub of the filter housing before assembling. Maybe my housing center hub is on the large size, but there was no way that Powertune filter would fit. The Wix filter fit over the center hub just fine and therefore it will seal and not bypass oil.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster