Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

johnstydo Avatar
johnstydo John Styduhar
Hermitage, PA, USA   USA
Frans, I found that the tie rod diameter on the aftermarket TR7 rack is larger that the OEM rack and it is not possible to shorten and thread to fit the TR4 tie rod ends for the conversion.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tr3gt Frans Smits
Eindhoven, NB, Netherlands   NLD
John,

I can not machine the rod?

johnstydo Avatar
johnstydo John Styduhar
Hermitage, PA, USA   USA
Yes, you can turn the tie rod down to the appropriate diameter for rethreading. But I wonder why the diameter is larger that stock, maybe the material is not as strong.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ken1945 Ken L
Brockville, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Hi Frans,

I am not sure what you mean by "making a mould" for the mounting brackets? Do you mean a model?

For each of the two side the brackets, they were simply two 1/8 inch steel plates ( 4 plates in total) that went inside each of the two supports where the original steering box and idler arm go and then a piece of 1/4 inch steel plate that started out 8 inches by 4.5 inches that was cut and shaped to fit between the 1/8" steel plates and give clearance above the front suspension A arms. The 1/4" plate goes back toward the engine mount where I welded it to a piece of 1/8' by 1 1/2" angle iron that was cut ,shaped and drilled to fit right up against the engine mount base. I also welded a piece of 1" square tube between the two 1/8" plates where the lower bolt goes through to avoid crushing the original brackets. The 1/4" plate is close enough to the two upper bolts that any additional tubes should not be necessary.

Each of these assemblies is then bolted in place with the existing three bolts to the appropriate idler arm/steering box supports and back at the engine mount.

Regarding your inner tie rod ends, assuming you can get the ones off of your new rack, try and get a used Triumph Herald or Spitfire rack (they are probably more plentiful and maybe easier to get) and use the tie rods from it. They are already 1/2" in diameter. They will still need to be shortened and threaded to fit the Triumph Spitfire tie rod ends but that avoids machining your new ones down. I chose to use Spitfire tie rod ends because the cars are newer and hopefully more plentiful and easier to get particularly in the future.

Are you transposing the TR3 steering arms to opposite sides, similar to the Moss Motors kit.? If so you will need to make two spacers that are .380 inches long and get two new Grade 8, bolts that are 3/8 diameter UNF and 3 1/2 inch long. Can you get Imperial Standard fasteners in the Netherlands or do you order them from the UK?

If you want to know what fan I used let me know, its cool here now so I have not been able to fully put it to the test, but it seems to move a lot more air than the original fan and there is no room for a larger fan any way.

Good luck you, will be please with the result, keep in touch.

Tomorrow I am out for a 400 KM drive with our local British Car Club and then Monday its time to clean up the garage.

Ken

tr3gt Frans Smits
Hi Ken,

Yes, I meant model.

On my car the original brackets are no longer present. I bought the car with a Chevy 350 and a Ford rack & pinion. I replaced this 350 engine with a TR3 engine but the pulley was in conflict with the Ford r&p. That's why this is removed and I'm going to install the TR7 r&p. I will do that in the same way as Revington does.

I decided not to install an electric fan but upgrade to a fan with more blades.

Thank you for your advice.

Frans

Ken1945 Ken L
Frans,

I think you will find that the TR7 rack will also interfere with the TR3 fan. The mounting position of the rack platform using the original type of rack is approximately 83mm above the top surface of the frame.

Ken

johnstydo Avatar
johnstydo John Styduhar
Hermitage, PA, USA   USA
My home-made TR7 rack and pinion brackets for my TR3 frame are very similar to the Restoration pieces. They don't bolt to the original steering brackets but are welded in place on the inside of the frame rails.

tr3gt Frans Smits
I have a setback. It was not possible to get of the tie rod ends of the new rack without possible damage. I have returned it to the seller. At the moment used TR7 racks are not findable at this side of the ocean. Has anyone a used TR7 rack for sale to me? I found one eBay but after I told the seller the destination he never came back to me.

Ken1945 Ken L
Hi Frans ,

Its Ken, I suggest you put your request to buy a TR7 rack and a TR7 lower steering column in the "buy, sell and trade" section of this web site and I am sure you will get reply within a day or two. That's how I located my rack. You may be able to get one from the UK or Europe that way.

The guy I got mine from provided the rack and the lower steering column for $100 US plus shipping. He is in the states but I know he has shipped to Australia.

If you send me a private email I will give you his name and email address.

Ken

johnstydo Avatar
johnstydo John Styduhar
Hermitage, PA, USA   USA
Rimmer Bros. in the UK sells a new TR7 lower steering column and knuckle.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster