How Common 4.10 Axle with Overdrive

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Herk Nate Steiner
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
I have been working on my father's 61 TR3A (TS68189LO) recently and it is fitted from the factory with 4.10 gears in the rear axle. My question is, how common was this ratio on overdrive equipped cars? I have heard tow tales. First, most all TR3A's and early TR4's came this way unless "Continental Gearing" was specified. Or, second, that this was an extremely rare option and few if any cars were so fitted (Bill Piggot is of this camp).

What is the consensus with other late TR3A's?

Until I got my grubby mitts on it, the axle had never been opened up much less removed from the chassis. Axle # TS66520 14/10. Has green/while paint swipe.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
Have you ordered the Heritage Certificate yet?

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Ontario, Canada   CAN
I have the 4.1 in my 1960. Heritage certificate confirms it as well.

Cheers
Tush

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I believe Piggott has it right; very few of them had the 4.1 axle originally. My former TR3A (TS39781LO) was one of them, although the 4.1 axle was gone by the time I got it.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

charleyf Silver Member Charley Fitch
Redding, California, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "MR.T"
I am also thinking that most all of those "very few" that got the 4.1 axles were the cars with overdrive.
Charley

TR3driver Randall Y
That's certainly what the factory literature said.

But I've also heard that they would build anything you wanted to pay for. So there is probably at least one that someone ordered without OD and with the 4.1. Having driven that way, tho, I would say its more of a racing configuration. Not really practical on the street.

In fact, my plan is to install 3.45 gears from one if the PI cars.

In reply to # 1477932 by charleyf I am also thinking that most all of those "very few" that got the 4.1 axles were the cars with overdrive.
Charley

Randall

charleyf Silver Member Charley Fitch
Redding, California, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "MR.T"
In fact, my plan is to install 3.45 gears from one if the PI cars.
Randall,
I have been using the 3.45 gears for a number of years now in both TR3&4. I do like them but they only give me a 300 to 400 RPM advantage. That seems to be a small advantage for the cost, unless one has to replace broken gears.
Charley

TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 1478058 by charleyf That seems to be a small advantage for the cost, unless one has to replace broken gears.
Charley
True enough.

Randall

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster