TR3 Tie Rod Ends

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

smijaka Jaka Simn
Vodice, /, Slovenia   SVN
Have to exchange a tie rod end (as the inspection ordered) and plan to do both. As i do it, is it smart to do some other exchanges of some vital parts at the same time?
Any suggestions?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
You can change the tie rod end in 10 minutes without even jacking the car...so it's really less of the old "while I'm this far into it" type job. Most suspension parts are good and tight, all the way up until they are not. I'd shake everything to check for looseness, and if all's good, just replace the one.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-07 10:20 AM by CJD.

TR3barton Avatar
TR3barton John Taylor
Greenfield, MA, USA   USA
Hellooooo,

Just one?

You did not say which side so I guess it is the right side. Getting the outside joint off is not hard but getting the inner one off
can be. I would change both per side.

You might find it best to purchase a "pickle fork" that will likely destroy the boot but get the inner joint off.

There is a helpful measurement, 7.68", for the center line of the joints on the left side in the factory book. If your car hits the left measurement then the toe can be set on the right side.

Just me but I would do all 4. just me just saying...............

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
johnstydo Avatar
johnstydo John Styduhar
Hermitage, PA, USA   USA
Hey Jaka, make sure you take a shot or two of Slivovitz before you get started.

smijaka Jaka Simn
Vodice, /, Slovenia   SVN
Haha, yeah, Slivovka will surely help me get them straight smiling smiley

johnstydo Avatar
johnstydo John Styduhar
Hermitage, PA, USA   USA
na zdravje

Karls59TR Karl Sisson
Winnipeg,Manitoba,Canada, Canada   CAN
John Taylor Over the years I have replaced most of the front end components ie. outer tie rod ends,idler arm, trunnions, delrin bushings for the drag link etc. (in hindsight I should have done everything at the same time). Anyway I must have neglected to replace the
inner tie rod ends because after a 400 mile run I noticed that the front right tire had the tread completely scrubbed away on the inside half of the tire right down to the internal threading! I jacked the car up and discovered that the inner tie rod end on the right side of the car had extreme movement and the left side tire not so bad. I ordered two new inside tie rod ends and am about to replace them. The outer tie rod ends seemed solid. Should I set up the tie rods to the 7.68" length as a base line then set the toe?
Karl

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster