Just to be sure I got it right

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
My memory is a bit fuzzy (was a long time ago for me), but there is at least one bolt hole that does go unused. They added a "dowel bolt" to the TR6 setup for better locating (I guess) and the TR3 block doesn't have the hole for it. What I can't recall for certain is whether there is another unused hole over near the starter.

Two more look unused, because they hold the locating dowels. On the TR6, these were replaced with "dowel bolts", which are bolts with precision diameter shanks that double as locating pins.

Barry's photos do show bolts in place of the studs; probably because that's what his PO used. Probably work fine, if you get the bolt length just right. But the holes are blind, and as I recall, not overly deep. So if the bolt length isn't quite right, you'll get either too few threads engaged in the block, or the bolt bottoming in the hole instead of clamping the gearbox flange to the block. The studs seemed preferable to me.

Here's a shot of mine, where you can see the empty hole, and the 3 studs across the top. The apparently empty hole lower down has a dowel in it (retained with a drop of Loctite).

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jacad Avatar
Jacad Gold Member Barry Shefner
Montreal, QC, Canada   CAN
1959 Triumph TR3A "Loose Wheels"
1976 Triumph TR6 "The Tweetster"
Ah so that is where the 3 threaded studs are supposed to gosmiling smiley, the parts book does not show the stud locations and the original studs were not present on my engine block, probably because as Randall said a PO must have discarded the studs (which were too short due to the thicker TR6 gearbox casing in favor of hex bolts.) I'm not sure why Triumph used a threaded stud over hex bolts (perhaps it helped locate the tranny to the block???) but there must be some logical explanation .... (of course it is Triumph and sometimes there are strange quirks so who the heck knows)

Barry
59 TR3A 0TS57675LO - "Loose Wheels"
76 TR6 CF54266U - "The Tweetster"
Website: Triumph TR2-TR3-TR4 www.trtriumph.com/ (sorry for not keeping it current for the past couple of years)

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
There's a photo on E10 of the workshop manual where you can (barely) see the studs peeking out of the block.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffYWZiN2VlZGMtNTkxMi00NGUzLWE4NzMtMGRkODRkYzU3MDU1

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
E10 Fig 5 Aligning clutch with mandrel.jpg    58.2 KB
E10 Fig 5 Aligning clutch with mandrel.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links