Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
To install an A type TR6 o/d trans into a TR3A, you use longer trans bolts on the engine, the TR3 flywheel and clutch assembly, TR3 t/o bearing assembly, and maybe oblong the rear trans mount holes. Right? I'm close.

Used parts are negotiable; they look better on your car than in my shop.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Ontario, Canada   CAN
I used the TR6 clutch though....

Cheers
Tush

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
What is the difference??

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Jacad Avatar
Jacad Gold Member Barry Shefner
Montreal, QC, Canada   CAN
1959 Triumph TR3A "Loose Wheels"
1976 Triumph TR6 "The Tweetster"
Chris,

That is my setup, an early CD24870 TR6 Tranny with "A" type O/D, TR3 Clutch, release bearing & Sleeve. Never had to oblong the rear mounts.

Barry
59 TR3A 0TS57675LO - "Loose Wheels"
76 TR6 CF54266U - "The Tweetster"
Website: Triumph TR2-TR3-TR4 www.trtriumph.com/ (sorry for not keeping it current for the past couple of years)

CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
In reply to # 1475118 by chris What is the difference??

TR3 uses coil springs in the clutch...the 6 uses a diaphram. The tranny front cover/sleeve must match the clutch you pick.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
charleyf Silver Member Charley Fitch
Redding, California, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph TR4 "MR.T"
The bolt pattern for the clutch on the flywheel is different between the TR3/4 flywheel and the TR4A/6 flywheel.

So you need to match the clutch to the flywheel you are using. Or have the flywheel modified with the different bolt pattern .
Charley

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I also had to make longer studs for the 3 studs at the top of the engine block.

In my experience, although you can force it together without slotting the holes, motor mount life will be severely reduced if you do. All of the 4 synchro boxes are about 3/8" longer at the mounting points than the 3 synchro boxes.

And you'll need to do something with the clutch slave, as its mounting surface moves backwards as well. I fabricated a shorter pushrod, but pounding the lip of the cover flat and mounting it TR6 style would probably work too.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
OK! So, longer mounting studs, 3 clutch on 3 flywheel with 3 cover plate and collar on 6 transmission. Cool! And thanks for sharing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-02 09:27 AM by chris.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Jacad Avatar
Jacad Gold Member Barry Shefner
Montreal, QC, Canada   CAN
1959 Triumph TR3A "Loose Wheels"
1976 Triumph TR6 "The Tweetster"
Chris,

I would take Randalls advice on those minor mods as my own setup came to me that way. The extended motor studs and shortening of the pushrod makes good sense due to the thicker bellhousing of the TR6 Tranny. As stated my rear mount shows no sign of oblonging but it is a tight fit so go with the suggestion.

Barry
59 TR3A 0TS57675LO - "Loose Wheels"
76 TR6 CF54266U - "The Tweetster"
Website: Triumph TR2-TR3-TR4 www.trtriumph.com/ (sorry for not keeping it current for the past couple of years)

Attachments:
IMG_0474.JPG    54.1 KB
IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0477.JPG    45 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0481.JPG    63.3 KB
IMG_0482.JPG    53.1 KB
TR3driver Randall Y
John already mentioned this, but I'll expand a bit. If you do use the TR4A-TR6 diaphragm clutch, you have to be sure your gearbox has the shorter front cover on it. One of those oddities, the factory did not change the part number, but the cover definitely got shorter when they went to the diaphragm clutch. (I'm using the diaphragm because it's lighter and my alloy flywheel is only drilled for the later clutch.)

From what I've heard, the shorter front cover works OK with the earlier spring clutch, but I haven't tried it myself. I used a TR3 front cover when building my Frankenbox; then had to cut it when I went to the later clutch & alloy flywheel. The longer cover will go together with the later clutch, but raise a racket when you depress the clutch. The hole in the center of the diaphragm closes up and grabs the tip of the cover.

Randall

chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Is it possible to modify the TR6 front cover/sleeve rather than use a TR3 cover/sleeve?

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Ok, but if I use the TR3 clutch on a 3 flywheel, I can use the longer front cover?? And if not, can the TR6 front cover be cut back?

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
TR3driver Randall Y
Its the TR6 cover that is shorter. I've heard that the short cover works OK with the TR3 clutch, but haven't tried it myself.

I'm running an early cover that was cut down for use with the later clutch. Works fine for me. Not sure how many miles I've got on it, but has to be getting close to 100,000.

Randall

chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
I would prefer to use some version of the TR6 cover plate so as to not butcher the TR3 trans, hence the question.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1475233 by Jacad Chris,

I would take Randalls advice on those minor mods as my own setup came to me that way. The extended motor studs and shortening of the pushrod makes good sense due to the thicker bellhousing of the TR6 Tranny. As stated my rear mount shows no sign of oblonging but it is a tight fit so go with the suggestion.

So, we're talking about longer studs, but I'm only seeing bolts in the picture, with one missing on the upper driver's side. ??

Member Services:
Used English car parts.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster