best grease for steering rack?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Drash David Ashby
Burlington, NC, USA   USA
Dismantled my steering rack to inspect and clean out the old lumpy grease that had been sitting idle in it for 20+ years. All internal parts were in good shape so I reinstalled loading everything up with red "n" tacky grease. Now I'm thinking I may have used the wrong grease. It's all back together and shimmed to get the right tensions etc but when I rotate the pinion it's not what you would call a smooth glide. Kinda hard to describe but my best attempt would be to simply call it a little rough as though you can feel the teeth on the pinion and rack meshing as the pinion rotates but definitely not sloppy.
When I was loading it up with that red " n" grease it was sticking to everything but not creating much of a build up if you know what I mean. That's why after testing I'm thinking the grease is too light weight. I'm sure tons of people have re-greased their racks so wondering what the popular opinion is on the best stuff to use.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
Are you talking about an aftermarket rack and pinion, or the original steering box?

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

Drash David Ashby
Burlington, NC, USA   USA
Ouch..Sorry, I inadvertently posted on the wrong forum..my question should have been in the TR4 forum..I'll re-post there but it's the original rack and on a '63 tr4.

CFMTR3A Avatar
CFMTR3A Carl M
Tampa, FL, USA   USA
Moss Motors recommends Penrite Steering Lube #00. But at $20/500ml it is a bit pricey. There are also several recommendations for this product on the British Car Forum with comments about #00 grease. John Deere Corn Head Grease is mentioned as an alternative.

When I was researching the JD product, I found an alternative at Tractor Supply at $5/Qt (950ml) https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/super-s-cotton-picker-spindle-grease-00?cm_vc=-10005.
A friend had some leftover Penrite and comparing the two I don't see any difference in thickness or appearance other than coloring. I haven't re-assembled my box yet (next weekend) but will be using the TSC.

cross-posted on TR4 Forum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 08:53 AM by CFMTR3A.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links