AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR3A Second restoration!
  This topic is about my 1960 Triumph TR3A
triumphrick Avatar
triumphrick Silver Member Rick Thompson
Masaryktown, Florida, USA   USA
Well, it has been a little over thirty years since the first frame off restoration of my TR3..

I bought the car not running from an acquaintance back in 1982. Within a year, I had the body off the frame and began the first restoration in my single car garage..

The car was completely finished around 1986 and we made the trek to Gainesville, Ga for the 1987 VTR Nationals. We came away from there with a third place from the peoples choice vote..

For many years during the mid to late 90's the car sat while the business I had started got up and running. The figure 8 seals leaked water into the motor and went un-noticed. The car was started periodically that way. Once the damage was done it was covered and put away.

Eight years ago I was able to build a 2400 sq ft building, install a lift and get my sights set on another restoration. Well, that time has come!

Just scored a bunch of parts from the Roadster Factory springtime sale. I was also buying parts from Charles Runyan back when I did the first resto..

Some pics of what I am working with..

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
00808_OUCcgg0zYD_600x450.jpg    35.9 KB
00808_OUCcgg0zYD_600x450.jpg

00z0z_hoR2gY1TUa_600x450.jpg    49.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
Cool! It's gotta be easier this time, as there are no surprises.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

WiscTR Silver Member Fred H
Madison, WI, USA   USA
An outbuilding with a lift -- nice!
What are you doing differently this time?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
triumphrick Avatar
I have the HDVA Toyota transmission kit and the rack and pinion kit...

I might also do some thing different with the front bumpers

I have a front sway bar as well as some Konis coming in. Will also put new rear shocks in place.

Hope to finish stripping the frame this weekend and start working on it. It needs to be painted as well. Scotch brite pads are really handy getting in all the nooks and crannies!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-28 05:54 AM by triumphrick.

triumphrick Avatar
Finally....some progress; the frame is almost done!

Had to cut out a piece of the rear crossmember that supports the rear spring shackles as it had been hit and bent...

Ready to start hanging suspension once the storm passes!

Attachments:
DSC00732.JPG    60.8 KB
DSC00732.JPG

DSC00733.JPG    50.1 KB
JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
Lexington, Kentucky, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR3B
1968 Triumph GT6 MkI "Cali"
1972 TVR Vixen
Looking good Rick!

Did you actually scrub down the chassis with scotch brites? What paint are you using?

Hope your not getting any real impact from Irma..

Cheers
Joe O

triumphrick Avatar
Keep in mind this frame was redi-stripped many year ago and only driven 7k miles the past thirty years.

I used a 2700psi power washer to knock all the big stuff off.

I use a lot of brake cleaner in my fishing reel repair business...I have cases of it....and used that next.

I blasted it again and used the compressor to blow it dry. The scotch brite pads were used in some nooks and crannys using lacquer thinner.

Blasted it again, dried it for two days and shot it with primer. I have had a gallon of NAPA implement epoxy paint that I mixed with some flattener, as I don't want a bright shiny frame. It came out well, kinda semi-gloss finish. The suspension parts that I am reusing will be shot with the gloss black for some contrast.

We are hunkered down but it seems as if the wind speeds are a little over rated. When the storm came through the Keys, all the monitoring equipment in place showed a few 100 mph gusts. Not the 130 mph winds they said we would get. I am north of Tampa and am hoping for no more than 60-70 mph winds..

JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
1963 Triumph TR3B
1972 TVR Vixen
I'm in the same camp on semi gloss for the chassis...

Living in a residential development I'm limited on what kind of work I can. do outside..

so, I've opted send my chassis out for blasting and powder coating.. the rest of the parts, after cleaning and blasting, I'm using POR 15.. and then POR top coat..

again, hope Irma bring no sever damage... esp to that awesome garage

cheers
Joe O

triumphrick Avatar
Well, we have had a good bit of progress with the front suspension and steering.

Along with Toyota 4 piston calipers and some sweet slotted & drilled rotors.

The rack and pinion kit was from British Restorations, a shop no longer in business...so had to work through some issues, but it came out pretty good.

Once I replaced the stock caliper brackets with a set from the TR4-6, I was able to mount the Toyota calipers along with TR6 rotors.

I also installed the heavy duty spindle kit that is now available for our cars.

Here is the rolling chassis!

I have new brake lines and a new fuel line that will get run next, and then on to the motor/transmission install.

The motor is finished and I have the Toyota transmission and the HVDA kit, but the flywheel needs to be modified and it is off at the machine shop.

So far, so good!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-24 06:37 AM by triumphrick.

Attachments:
DSC00821.JPG    38.5 KB
DSC00821.JPG

DSC00822.JPG    52.5 KB
DSC00823.JPG    85.3 KB
DSC00824.JPG    110.8 KB
JoeOtero Avatar
JoeOtero Joe Otero
1963 Triumph TR3B
1972 TVR Vixen
very cool... congrats Rick

CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
Coming together nicely!

I'm curious how the body got in such bad condition after only 7k miles? Was it stored outdoors?

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

triumphrick Avatar
In reply to # 1493634 by CJD Coming together nicely!

I'm curious how the body got in such bad condition after only 7k miles? Was it stored outdoors?

Actually the body is very straight and no rust at all. what you see is ten years of dust. There is a little work that needs to be done on the firewall, and we welded a new battery box in that needs to be finished, but about all it will need is primer and paint..

I had motor troubles from the figure eight gaskets leaking and the motor was started and run without checking for water in the oil. I had a new business and the car was not getting used, just started occasionally.

Also, I wanted 89mm pistons, Webers, rack and pinion and the HVDA transmission conversion. It had been a trailer queen long enough...I wanted change and a driver...!

This will be going in soon!

Attachments:
DSC00809.JPG    32.2 KB
DSC00809.JPG

DSC00812.JPG    31.8 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links