AutoShrine Sponsor

Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
south bend, IN., USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "My First Triumph"
1962 Triumph TR4 "Big Red"
1964 Triumph TR4 "Ugly Duckling"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV    & more
I here ya,Chris. I am sure like me you have ran across deals from time to time? Everyone says to me I paid too much. Well I paid more than you so that's why I own it.winking smiley Maybe more than I should of paid but not more than it's value! The old adage is money talks and B.S. walks!

It is all a factor of how much is it worth to you,and how much do you have to spend. Much better to fall into our hands so we can restore them rather than see them laguish and go to the scrapper.cool smiley At worst the parts will be distributed to other cars that will see the road one day. I do all I can to preserve the breed and to me that's what it is all about.smileys with beer

Sometimes you succeed,other times you learn.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Perambulator David D
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
I guess you have to define "Worth" and in order to do so, you need to put forth the Value proposition.

What has value to YOU?

Lets state for the record that you can buy a good runner for half what you are going to spend restoring the barn find. So, from a business point, it is not worth it.

Lets say that you want to drive a classic. The example you posted is years down the road from being able to do so, so it is not worth it.

Say you want a challenge. Something to feed the mechanical Rubik's Cube craving. This car would fit the bill. This would be "worth it".

BarryTR3A Barry Brown
Crossville, Tennessee, USA   USA
I'm a firm believer that too many triumphs aren't nearly enough! If you want a project (probably somewhat long and somewhat expensive) that will give you a wonderful vintage British sports car....Go for it! TR's are fantastic automobiles. If you want to only turn a profit...sell it to someone else. There will be plenty of people who would love to have it!

Good luck!

Barry

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1957tr3greentub4me michael alford
pilo t mountain, north carolina, USA   USA
1957 Triumph TR3 "Oilleak"
i do not hear of any new ones being made so there is a limited supply ,just buy the best one you can find and you have a new hobby ! the lemans head is also low port ports almost straight across, the first high ports were just that ,port spacing was off center by about 3/4 inch

CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
I've been watching this thread since the start...both laughing and crying with you, John! Eerily similar to my project...a 1955 TR2 TS5248.

This month marks the 3rd anniversary of it's trip home. I didn't really plan to get it, but I low balled a guy in Dallas...and he was so scared he was going to get nothing for it that he took it. I inherited the old girl, rat's nests and all.

I have been working steadily on her for the entire 3 years. I tend to be very committed on projects, so "steady" for me is about 10 times the pace of an average hobbyist, but 1/2 the pace of a professional. So far I have cleaned Ebay and the UK out of all the TR2 parts they had. Finally, 3 years down the road, I think I can almost, through the trees and far in the distance, see an end to this restoration. It has not been fun. It has not been pretty. It has been the most challenging restoration I have ever done...and I have done over a dozen. As you can see in the pic above, mine looked relatively decent at the start. In the middle, not a single body panel was intact once the bondo was cleared.

Anyway...I finally write to throw in my 2 cents. You will have to be obsessive and relentless to take that TR2 back to road. If you have that kind of drive, you are in for a lot of work...rewarding in the end, of course. But, painful and expensive along the way. If you have any doubts...don't even try to start this project. Turn the car and make a few bucks now, as it will be your last chance for many years.

So, congrats on the find...!...and best luck choosing the path your life will take for the next 3-5 years.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-28 08:16 AM by CJD.

spitfire6979 Jonathan Kretzer
Northport, New York, USA   USA
John, Im working on one now that started out the same, new floors and sills in place, alot of small rust area, but if you are handy and don't have one pick up a mig welder and try to learn, this will make it all more affordable, and always start with the front section on frame, doors hung ( after this is all ready of coarse) and fit the sills and back half to the front with doors and sitting on frame. Take the welding in sections so not overwhelming, Im working on the trunk area now with the gutters, While doiong this take the small parts to basement and finish them, and box them up, nice work when you get tired of the welding.

johhnyb Silver Member John Bartell
Silver Spring, MD, USA   USA
Right now I am finishing up my current project car and will start on the TR2 this summer in earnest. I fully expect this to take me a good 3 years. The spitfire I finished last year took me 2 and a half years so I know this one will take longer. For me its therapy, It gets me out from underneath my wifes feet and gives me something to look forward to.

Ollie77777 Ollie H
Norwich, UK   GBR
I thought that despite being well over a year since the last post, I should do an update on the car in question. She has since moved to the U.K. And is hopefully only a couple of months away from being on the road again - just in time for the snow!! So I do now have a firm answer to the question 'worth restoring?'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-10 03:56 AM by Ollie77777.

Attachments:
IMG_0553.PNG    89.2 KB
IMG_0553.PNG

IMG_0524.JPG    86.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Aridgerunner Avatar
Aridgerunner Silver Member Bill Bussler
Montoursville, PA, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The A"
1959 Triumph TR3A "The Mistress"
VERY nice! And what's that hiding in the garage?

Ollie77777 Ollie H
Norwich, UK   GBR
Thanks, she's getting there. That would be my 59 TR3smiling smiley

Attachments:
IMG_0609.jpg    56.2 KB
IMG_0609.jpg

ShortBulge Brian LeBlanc
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
...So....car went to UK ?

CJD john durant
Southlake, Texas, USA   USA
Beautiful...and fast work! I finished mine, and in the end I would say “no”, not worth it. I’ll have to hold on to it for many years before the cost matches the value, but that’s in the US. Unless you love the hobby of working on them, you’re usually better off buying a restored car than a basket case.

John
Southlake, TX

'55 TR2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-12 10:13 PM by CJD.

Ollie77777 Ollie H
Norwich, UK   GBR
You certainly have a great looking car to show for it. In my case however, I would have to disagree. Although I've spent a lot of money on it, doing most of it myself means I couldnt have bought a car of this specification for what I've spent so far (if I could find one at all)

Spitfire 1978 Sarojini Ranasinghe
Austin, TX, USA   USA
1958 Triumph TR3A "TR3"
Hi John,

Where is this car located.

Thanks.

Olivio.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster