AutoShrine Sponsor

Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
south bend, IN., USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "My First Triumph"
1962 Triumph TR4 "Big Red"
1964 Triumph TR4 "Ugly Duckling"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV    & more
Well someone there must know something? Otherwise how do you know it's a TR2,1955 with no title? Think about it....

Sometimes you succeed,other times you learn.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trjohnnie John Malinick
Mirror Lake, NH, USA   USA
The TS# or more detailed pics will tell the story. Lots of info will be revealed. Little things like build dates on Lucas components can also make a difference.

johhnyb Silver Member John Bartell
Silver Spring, MD, USA   USA
Here's the commission number on the car. There is a spare bumper with it, but both of them are pretty bad off. I think I am going to keep it, rather than sell it. I did a Spitfire complete restoration last year, so I think I am up for this one too.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1215.JPG    67.5 KB
IMG_1215.JPG

20160106_135626.jpg    54.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1216.JPG    63 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
trjohnnie John Malinick
Bingo! You are the proud owner of a short door 55 TR2. Congrats!smileys with beer

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
In reply to # 1340326 by Triumph Racer Otherwise how do you know it's a TR2,1955 with no title? Think about it....
The commission number is about the only way to be certain. If that was missing, then it would be whichever one you wanted to restore it as grinning smiley

Strange things happen with old cars. I've got a Stag with a 71 commission number (and OK title); but the body is a 72 and the engine is a 73. The commission tag also says it had an automatic transmission, but I've not found any evidence it ever did (there's a J type in there now). Most likely, the tag and title came from the car that also donated the interior and dash.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
south bend, IN., USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "My First Triumph"
1962 Triumph TR4 "Big Red"
1964 Triumph TR4 "Ugly Duckling"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV    & more
That was my point,Randall.How doe's a spitfire owner know this unless the vin was researched. Unless the old lady has a mighty fine memory. I know all about strange things happening to cars,I've done them.winking smiley

Sometimes you succeed,other times you learn.

TR3driver Randall Y
For TRs, the "vin research" is pretty trivial. The front of any printed Moss catalog has a nice table and there are lots of others available on the net.
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B2H2NJt34OffMDVmOTZlZWItYTcyMy00ZDhkLTliOWEtOWU1OWRhNDZhYmRl

But my guess is that s/he just read it off the old paperwork. Titles are easily lost (and frequently "lost" for reasons other than not having the piece of paper, like a lien shown). But registration slips are much more likely to turn up (IMO) since in most states, you get a fresh one every year, and are required to carry it with the car. When I bought my current TR3, there was no title; but I managed to track down a registration slip for it. (The former owner's aunt found it in a dresser drawer. Apparently she had gone on paying the annual registration fee even after the former owner tore the car apart and then moved to the east coast to go to college.)

On a previous TR, the seller initially claimed the title was lost, but eventually turned it over. It was still useless to me, though, as neither the owner of record nor the listed lien holder could be located.

Randall

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
I have gotten titles from dead guys changed into my name, all legal, and have also gotten divorced people to sign off after they had mistakenly signed in the wrong place (OR titles stink), sold the car and then split. The divorced couple was harder than the dead guy, although no one was being obstructive.

Used parts are negotiable; they look better on your car than in my shop.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
trjohnnie John Malinick
Seems the original question might be getting lost. Is it a real TR2 and is it worth restoring? The TS# says it real and any TR2 is rare and hard to find,making it worth restoring. From the new pics,it appears to probably have the original engine because of the low port head that is present with the correct carbs and manifold. Also according to the TS # it is an OD car further enhancing it's value. The body looks like a great car to restore,compared to many have seen. As for titles,liens,laws,and other old car registration problems,a quick stop at the Maryland DMV would solve Mr Bartell's issues. 50 states and a million messed up laws. Worry about the one you live in. Do a BMHC search,if it is available and get the real facts on the car. Happy New Year everyone and I hope to see this car on the show field someday.

TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 1340405 by trjohnnie From the new pics,it appears to probably have the original engine because of the low port head that is present with the correct carbs and manifold.
I agree about the low port head (but of course early TR3 also had low port heads). But what do you see to indicate those are H4 carbs & manifold, rather than H6?

Not that it matters at this point, he's already bought the car and no doubt can see the difference for himself. That commission plate makes it genuine enough for me, and IMO it's well worth restoring even if the engine was upgraded to TR3 specs. I'm just curious as I couldn't tell the difference from those photos. The big difference is that H4 only have 2 studs into the manifold instead of 4, but I couldn't see that in any of the photos.

PS, Oops, I types H2 above where I meant H4. Fixed it now.

Randall

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-11 03:49 PM by TR3driver.

hoyt Avatar
hoyt Silver Member Hoyt Duff
Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA   USA
What is the Commission Number?

TR3driver Randall Y
Looks like TS7933LO to me, which probably means it was completed in July or August 1955. Piggott shows TS7229 in July, TS8213 in August.

Randall

dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, New Jersey, USA   USA
You and your tr are going to be a popular topic.We all dream of something like this happening but it never does.We all hope to hear about your progress and by the way,long doors were made up to the fall of 1954,the overdrive option started with ts6266,and larger rear brakes were added at ts5443.It was common to use tr3 parts on tr2's.I hope your DMV will have a record from your ts# Dan

TR3driver Randall Y
In reply to # 1340660 by dsixnero ,the overdrive option started with ts6266,
I think you misread something. Overdrive was always available (even TS1 had it); the change at TS6266 was to make it functional in 2nd & 3rd gear. Earlier cars only had OD available in 4th gear.

Randall

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1340660 by dsixnero You and your tr are going to be a popular topic.We all dream of something like this happening but it never does.We all hope to hear about your progress and by the way,long doors were made up to the fall of 1954,the overdrive option started with ts6266,and larger rear brakes were added at ts5443.It was common to use tr3 parts on tr2's.I hope your DMV will have a record from your ts# Dan

Oh, it happens, just to other people smiling smiley
One of my customers just bought a 1963 MGB for $100. He didn't know what year it was until we discussed the number. And, it has overdrive. Me, I pay $2500 for less of a body, newer car, no overdrive. So it goes!

Used parts are negotiable; they look better on your car than in my shop.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster