Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

johhnyb Silver Member John Bartell
Silver Spring, MD, USA   USA
Hi Folks,

I am a long time spitfire owner, and last week a neighbor who knew I was into Triumphs came by with an intriguing offer. Seems he was rebuilding a garage for a lady but there was this triumph in the garage that kept getting in the way. She just wanted it gone. It belonged to her dead husband and she has no title. What do you all think?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1209.JPG    53 KB
IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG    62.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1217.JPG    43.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
That is doable.

Used parts are negotiable; they look better on your car than in my shop.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Definitely! At least for someone. That's even an overdrive switch I see lurking next to the steering wheel!

Of course it's hard to say from those photos what the floors and sills are like, but it's definitely worth saving even if it needs new floors and sills. I'm sure there are many on here that have started with worse.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

76TR william maddox
winter springs Fl., USA   USA
Go for it! I'm just finishing up a 55tr2 that has been a on and off restoration for 2.5 years.

Just got to drive it 2 days ago what a treat!! I have another 55 to do that is way worse than that one, these cars have a unique personality and need to be returned to the road!!

I'll post pics soon,i added a rack&pinion and it steers almost like it was power steering. Good Luck

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
76TR william maddox
Just wanted to add that mine didn't have a title either,but at least here in fl you just have to fill out

a affidavit stating you are the owner and state the vin# (TS.....)then have it notarized, pay the $ and your good to go!

johhnyb Silver Member John Bartell
Silver Spring, MD, USA   USA
I checked the frame today, it looks good. The passenger side door is a little rough, but other than that, I'm excited. Anybody have any advice on getting the doors open without tearing them up?

Attachments:
IMG_1217.JPG    43.1 KB
IMG_1217.JPG

76TR william maddox
you should just be able to move the door strap forward or slide the bolt forward on the inside of the door

that should release the door mechanism then just give it a bump with your hand

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
If this was a Spitfire, and the doors wouldn't open, I'd be very concerned for the sills, which are structural.
If they have collapsed, then the body becomes much weakened.

Would this be true for a TR2?
John

mgedit Mike Graham
Kemptville, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Would a 55 TR2 have long doors? Looks like it would be a worthwhile project for sure. Cheers, Mike

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Long doors ended in late 54, the "55 model year" cars had short doors.

TR2s are body-on-frame, so the sills are only for appearance. But it's certainly possible for the frame to have buckled, especially if the car was stored outdoors for a long time on soft ground. More likely, IMO, the latches are just stuck, so I'd go with William's idea first. If that doesn't work, try jacking the car up in the center (under the frame rail) and try again. The frames always flex a bit, so jacking it up that way puts just a little more clearance in the door jamb.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-10 11:04 AM by TR3driver.

TR3barton Avatar
TR3barton John Taylor
Greenfield, MA, USA   USA
A TR2 will have long doors.

It sure looks like a drum brake TR3. Note that it has the older style VIN number plate.

Is that a spare TR3A front bumper laying on it?

dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, New Jersey, USA   USA
John,as to your question,selling the car as it sits will bring the most profit. Investing thousands of dollars and labor to restore it will only break even,but if you want a nice tr2 and are willing to spend the time and money,this is a great start. The worst thing to do is,take it apart and give up.Depending on the condition of the floors and if the motor turns,it could bring a quick 3 to 5 k right now. Dan

mgedit Mike Graham
Kemptville, Ontario, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1340190 by TR3barton A TR2 will have long doors.

It sure looks like a drum brake TR3. Note that it has the older style VIN number plate.

Is that a spare TR3A front bumper laying on it?

Definitely seems to be early TR3 given placement of wiper motor and Lockheed master cylinder. Also looks to have single catch on bonnet, not dual one. Layout looks same as my early 56 TR3. Cheers, Mike

Jumbo986 Avatar
Jumbo986 Jim Hallmark
Los Angeles, California, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B "OLE BLUE"
If you want a cool car that will give you and your family something to be proud of for many years of driving (and fixing-it is a Triumph) then go for it. You have some great shops over in Florida, like Glenn's in St. Pete and others that will be willing to help.
I dragged my '62 TR3B all the way from Indian Rocks Beach, FL. to West LA when I moved here a year ago and it looked a lot worse( California car stored in 1990 then to East Tennessee then to Indian Rocks then to LA) than what you are starting with. The shop (Lanse's Restorations here on Federal) I use here let's me (when I have time) to come and work on some of it. It's coming along slow but I get excited to see the progress (I didn't have the time to rebuild the engine so I sub'd it out to Peter's Marina Motors). You can really enjoy doing it if you have the time to do it yourself though and it is like therapy if you let it be.

trjohnnie John Malinick
Mirror Lake, NH, USA   USA
Ok... Ive been watching this thread for a while. The TS number would really help as if it a 2 or 3. Long doors,Im pretty sure ended at around TS4001,but everyone can always possibly wrong. Looking at the pics,and noticing the chrome(fat style) passenger grab handle and white piping on the seats would say TR3,but on a very late end of production TR2,who knows? Engine compartment pics show a very early style oil cap. Cant really tell if the valve cover is painted black or very rusted chrome. Black painted would say TR2. Closer detailed pics would tell if the carbs are HS4s or 6s. 4s for TR2. 6s for TR3. Also if the head is a low port (TR2) or High port(Lemans) TR3 head. A grille pic would really help,also. I notice a front bumper on the car and one in the interior,so not sure what that comment is all about. Really need that TS number. The car in the right hands is worth restoring.All these early cars have potential value. I started with a lot worse. Comments?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster