AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pnat59 Avatar
Pnat59 Pat N
North haven, Ct, USA   USA
What would be the recammended oil for a 1959 tr3

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
6TTR3A Frank Conklin
San Diego,CA, USA   USA
There are probably as many different opinions on that subject as there are triumph owners !
The one thing that most owners agree on is the necessity of an oil formula that addresses the valve seats and lifters.
There used to be a zinc phosphate (sort of) additive in oils that is missing in most of todays oils. Modern automobile engines
don't need it. It's called ZDDP & its purpose was to coat the combustion chamber and other moving parts to help
prevent excessive wear. That's over-simplifying it but you get the idea..
So, you can buy ZDDP additive & add it to your modern oil formula or you can purchase specially formulated ZDDP oils
specifically for our cars. The big 3 sells both. It used to be that Valvoline VR1™ racing oil (only) had enough ZDDP
in it to be satisfactory for our cars. Weather they still produce with ZDDP I don't know. As for what weight,
detergent vs. non-detergent is the area on which everyone has their own opinion. I live in So. California where it never
gets below freezing but often reaches triple digits. I have over 50K miles on my 87mm rebuild with hard seats and lifters.
I run a mild cam but seldom go over 4000RPM. I still have factory spec compression on all cylinders. All of those things
determine what weight oil I use. (20w-50)
Frank

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
In reply to # 1210203 by 6TTR3A Weather they still produce with ZDDP I don't know.
They do. There are actually three different Valvoline racing oils now, the "NSL" (Not Street Legal) stuff, VR1 and VR1 synthetic. All have plenty of ZDDP. I use VR1 in 20W50; but like Frank I live where it gets hot but not cold. 10W40 might be more appropriate for CT, especially if you drive in cooler weather. Keep an eye on your hot oil pressure though, and step up if it drops below 20 psi at idle.

Watch for the sales; both O'Reillys & Autozone have VR1 on sale at least once or twice a year for about half the usual price.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
south bend, IN., USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "My First Triumph"
1962 Triumph TR4 "Big Red"
1964 Triumph TR4 "Ugly Duckling"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV    & more
Just a footnote here. The Roadster Factory has Brad Penn motor oil formulated for older cars. It is on sale right now where you buy 5qts. and get the sixth free. Might be worth it if you have other parts to order. It is made in the old Kendall refinery in PA.

Sometimes you succeed,other times you learn.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Bradford, Pennsylvania, cleverly enough.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
south bend, IN., USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "My First Triumph"
1962 Triumph TR4 "Big Red"
1964 Triumph TR4 "Ugly Duckling"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV    & more
You would know that,Dave. I heard they used to make some other brand of old oil there too. Something like Amalie Pro ?

Sometimes you succeed,other times you learn.

cdozois Avatar
cdozois Platinum Member Craig Dozois
Englewood, Florida, USA   USA
In south Florida I use VR1 straight 50 weight.

tonytr3 Avatar
tonytr3 Tony M
Grosse Ile, Michigan, USA   USA
Following this string, does anyone know of a source in the US for Castrol Classic XL 20W-50. Used it years ago and could buy it at most any autoparts store, but now only seems to be available in England.

mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, Alabama, USA   USA
Used 20/50 Castrol for last 40 years
Marv

Jacad Avatar
Jacad Gold Member Barry Shefner
Montreal, QC, Canada   CAN
1959 Triumph TR3A "Loose Wheels"
1976 Triumph TR6 "The Tweetster"
Castrol 20W 50 for the past 35 years in northern climate ...... no complaints

Barry
59 TR3A 0TS57675LO - "Loose Wheels"
76 TR6 CF54266U - "The Tweetster"
Website: Triumph TR2-TR3-TR4 www.trtriumph.com/ (sorry for not keeping it current for the past couple of years)

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
There is a good article in this sites library, with information from someone who knows what he is talking about.

http://www.triumphexp.com/article/todays-oil.html

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster