AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

getting hot [PA, USA]
Spitfire
1951biker Chuck Swartzbaugh
York, PA, USA   USA
my 1977 triumph spitfire is starting to run 10% hotter and at light even hotter wear do i look

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Kind of a lot of places to look; I would probably start with when was the last time the cooling system was serviced? It's important to keep an adequate concentration of anti-freeze, and change it on schedule (every 2, 5 or 7 years depending on which AF you use) whether you drive the car or not. The anti-corrosion additives wear out with time, not miles.

Then a good tune-up if it hasn't had one recently, including valve lash and ignition timing; plus verifying that the timing advance mechanism is working. If that still doesn't help, I'd have the radiator rodded out and a new thermostat. Etc, etc.

BTW, this is the "Buy, Sell, Trade" forum. Unless you plan to solve the problem by selling the car, you should probably post in the "Spitfire and GT6" forum instead.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-24 03:56 PM by TR3driver.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
I would look on the Spitfire and GT6 forum!

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster