TRExp

Buy, Sell & Trade Forum

Wanted: Rear Swing Spring Assembly from a MKIV / Spitfire 1500 [Valencia, CA, USA]

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

KRGS 68 Spitfire Rene Gimenez
Valencia, CA, USA   USA
Hi All-

As noted above, I'm looking for a rear swing spring assembly from a MKIV / Spitfire 1500. Looking for not only the spring, but the "dog house", as well as the bolt that goes through it. Looking to convert my '68 from fixed to swing spring. Already have the big sway bar.

Thanks in advance you your attention.

-Rene Gimenez

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
I have the entire set up including shocks and diff and spring complete pulled from a 75/76? spit but shipping would be expensive from zip 48876

Valencia, CA, USA   USA
Hi There-

I don't need the shocks and diff, just the spring, the pivot box (aka dog house) and the lower plate to the pivot box. Please see photo. If you can separate, please PM me with costs. Thanks so much.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Triumph Spring.jpg    5.2 KB
Triumph Spring.jpg

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
I think I have a new one,r spring that is but Ill look again.out of town at the moment.

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, Montana, USA   USA
Why are you wanting to swap?? I had considered it as well.
Also, are you going to the longer axles?? I did that one and looks awesome

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

Valencia, CA, USA   USA
I've been running a camber compensator for several years, which I will probably put up for sale after I install the swing spring. While there is no doubt that it does its job to address rear wheel tuck in, I never was very happy with suspension parts hanging that low below the car. There are also clearance issues with my exhaust. After doing a lot of research and reading many (sometimes very spirited) threads on the subject here and on other sites, I figured that to convert to a later model swing spring would be a good move. Also being a disciple of people like Colin Chapman and Ken Miles, I like the idea of having fewer parts to do the same job.

I've just restored and installed a set of Summit racing axles, so I'm not planning to change those over.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
The swing spring works 'OK'.
It's a bolt on factory modification, it's easy to do, but is not perfect.
Less 'tunable' than a separate CC, and the lowermost leaf is overstressed, tends to sag or break after a few years

For the more adventurous, it's possible to relocate the Camber Compensator leaf to sit above the rear spring,
rather than hanging down below the chassis.
I did that on my old SCCA G Prod racecar for the same reason, needed ground clearance for the newfangled low profile slick tires
It worked out well for me.

Basically, the bolt in the spring is replaced with one about 2" longer.
A CC rubber bushing is placed on the bolt, then the CC leaf, then another CC rubber bushing, then a bushing washer, and finally a nyloc nut to hold it together.
The CC leaf tips have to be tied to the spring ends.
I used a pair of rectangular steel hanger brackets that straddled the spring and CC tips, with a tie bolt across the bottom.
A short bolt attached it to the CC tips with a rubber bushing between.
The bottom tie bolt is run through a piece of rubber hose to act as a bushing, prevents metal-metal contact between bolt and the underside of the spring leaf.

The CC worked exactly the same, it pivoted at the center on the rubber bushings, but prevented the axles from both drooping to prevent
wheel tuck on braking or in corners.
The CC could be tuned by adding/removing bushings or spacers in the center, or at the tips.

Valencia, CA, USA   USA
What a great site! Thanks to everyone who pm'd me. The final pieces of what I need for the conversion are on their way. I should have the practically brand new camber compensator available in a week or so.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster