Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RotarySpitfire Avatar
RotarySpitfire William C
San Francisco, California, USA   USA
Well, my rear end guy took apart my differential and said it either needs a complete rebuild or replace it with a good used one or a rebuilt one. Anybody got something available your willing to part with or know of a place I might could find something good?

Thanks guys!
Bill

1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_6544.JPG    29.2 KB
IMG_6544.JPG

IMG_6546.JPG    33.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
79bluespit Avatar
79bluespit Rick Lazio
Burlington, ON, Canada   CAN
I have one from a 1971. Quiet gears. I'm in Canada, but I would ship it from NY 14304. $150.

RotarySpitfire Avatar
RotarySpitfire William C
Do you know what the gear ratio is?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
79bluespit Avatar
79bluespit Rick Lazio
From a 71 so 4.11. For your car you'd need the driveshaft and axle u joints ends, which I have, to allow you to bolt it in.

79bluespit Avatar
79bluespit Rick Lazio
Most ppl prefer 3.89 ... But I replied BC urs is a rotary which would match a 4.11 better than any piston engine.

79bluespit Avatar
79bluespit Rick Lazio
Actually u don't need to change axle u joint ends... Just swap out stub axle.

The drive shaft u joint end u would have to change which i have and would go with the diff if u decide to buy it.

Joe1500 Avatar
Joe1500 Joe Smeds
Fresno, CA., USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "The One I'll Never Sell"
1979 MG MGB
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Bill,
You can try to get a hold of Wayne at Triumphs Only in Stockton. His website says he is still doing business. I'm fairly certain that he will have one. Best of luck.

Cheers, Joe

RotarySpitfire Avatar
RotarySpitfire William C
Thank you for the input guys. I am still investigating a couple of options locally.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
In reply to # 1486150 by 79bluespit From a 71 so 4.11. For your car you'd need the driveshaft and axle u joints ends, which I have, to allow you to bolt it in.

Never, never, NEVER trust that the year a Spitfire was built has anything to do with what's actually in the car.
It's had 45 years of opportunity for DPO to swap in something else, anything else, all the diffs fit.
The pictures show that the old diff has been modified (dual breather fittings on the rear ears).
And I believe that it may be fitted with rotoflex rear suspension.

RotarySpitfire Avatar
RotarySpitfire William C
Carter, I totally agree. And yes, this car has a bunch of suspension upgrades. It was previously a race car that I have managed to make street legal. Lots of fun. By the way, what is the Rotoflex suspension you mentioned. I do have multiple upgrades from PRI that were put on many years ago for the racing (before I got the car).

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1486570 by RotarySpitfire Carter, I totally agree. And yes, this car has a bunch of suspension upgrades. It was previously a race car that I have managed to make street legal. Lots of fun. By the way, what is the Rotoflex suspension you mentioned. I do have multiple upgrades from PRI that were put on many years ago for the racing (before I got the car).

Does it have swing axles?
The swing axle is a solid steel shaft about 1" diamater that goes from the inner diff UJoint out to the wheel hub:

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID005736

The rotoflex was fitted to some GT6 cars, and essentially bolts in with little modification needed,
making it a popular upgrade to a Spitfire.

Easiest way to identify it is the presence of the large lower wishbone casting:

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID008058
https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-149769U

RotarySpitfire Avatar
RotarySpitfire William C
Hi Carter, I checked and I do not have the Rotoflex type of swing arm. The links you sent were very helpful, I'm intrigued to maybe try that setup. Seems like it would add considerable stability to the rear suspension. Thank you

Bill

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1486770 by RotarySpitfire Hi Carter, I checked and I do not have the Rotoflex type of swing arm. The links you sent were very helpful, I'm intrigued to maybe try that setup. Seems like it would add considerable stability to the rear suspension. Thank you

Bill

It's a common upgrade, search here on this site and you will find loads of info.

Need to have these brackets welded to the frame for the lower wishbones:
https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-215746
https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-215747

You can find the parts used.
Many folks replace the Rotoflex rubber donut driveshafts with CV driveshafts.
Unlike the donuts, the CV last a long time.
There is a kit:
https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RG1314

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links