TAKEN---GT6, Spitfire seat belt parts [Kansas, USA]

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

fgraus Frederick Graus
Wichita, Kansas, USA   USA
Assorted parts from different cars. If it looks like yours, you can have it for free.
Free to pick up, will ship for cost.

All straps are pending. Quick release floor units are still available.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-05 07:30 PM by fgraus.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_6794.JPG    75.3 KB
IMG_6794.JPG

IMG_6795.JPG    58.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
RoyalBlue56 Mark P
Terre Haute, Indiana, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph GT6 "Val"
1968 Triumph GT6 MkI "Lucy"
Fred
I would be happy to take your second pic of seat belts. Please. Send pm
Mark

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
Second hand seat belts?

Only if you can buy life second hand.
John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
fgraus Frederick Graus
Buyer beware.

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, Washington, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
You can get the belts re-webbed, or in the case of the top picture, the plastic/rubber casings are not available new so you have to re-use. I was able to install new belts and retractors in mine. I got the original belts with my GT6, I removed them when the car became street legal. They will go in a display box eventually with things like the clear hooters light switch, original shift knob, and stock steering wheel. My picture shows what my new belts look like. Kyle

Attachments:
IMG_7858.JPG    46.3 KB
IMG_7858.JPG

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
In reply to # 1482824 by tapkaJohnD Second hand seat belts?

Only if you can buy life second hand.
John

do you have new seat belts in your car or factory originals?

Plus if you get into an accident in a Spitfire that's hard enough to rip even old decrepit seat belts, I hardly think new seat belts will save you.

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Tim, if you have the OE belts in your Spitfire, I urge you to replace them. Few modern cars last more than ten years - yours is at least four times older, and so are the belts!
In that time, if the car has been in a shunt, then the belts have done their job, absorbed the energy to protect the driver/passenger, stretched and must be replaced. ultraviolet will have denatured the plastic. Sweat, oil and other contaminants will have added to their weakening.
That's why you don't use second hand belts. You have some rough idea of what yours have gone through. Buy second hand and you have none at all, except they are way over their life limit.
John

fgraus Frederick Graus
Tim,
None of the cars I've had through the years were wrecks. Several were bought only for parts but none showed signs of having ever been in a major wreck. I have no idea which cars which belts came from. All of these belts have been sitting in a box in the garage for at least 15 years. I never even thought about how old these parts are. I probably should have just tossed them in the trash.
Fred

joppamoto Mark R
Crestwood, Ky, USA   USA
Fred I could use a set of the door guides if they`re not gone.

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
In reply to # 1483431 by fgraus Tim,
None of the cars I've had through the years were wrecks. Several were bought only for parts but none showed signs of having ever been in a major wreck. I have no idea which cars which belts came from. All of these belts have been sitting in a box in the garage for at least 15 years. I never even thought about how old these parts are. I probably should have just tossed them in the trash.
Fred

Fred,
With respect, yes, you should. The fabric parts at least. The metal or even plastic parts may be useful, but as any new belt will come with those, and it's impossible to hand stitch them into new fabric, ditch them too.

In competition - a completely different fish-kettle, but to show the need for 'lifing' - harnesses must be renewed at two (!!!) to five years, regardless. The risk of an incident is far greater, but the need for protection just as much.
John

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster