TRExp

Buy, Sell & Trade Forum

WTB - Steel Oil Seal INSERT for the bellhousing of late Spitfire Trans (?after 1976?) [KY, USA]

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

baloo Avatar
baloo Silver Member s y
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
I’m looking for the bellhousing insert that houses the rubber lip oil seal from a later Spitfire tranny (1976 and up).

These later transmissions used a steel insert in the bellhousing that had a removeable rubber lip seal, rather than the scroll seal around the input shaft on the transmission, found in the earlier Spitfire 1500's.
The inserts can be swapped between the older and the newer 1500 transmission bellhousings, and are simply held in place by a single small pin that is easily driven out from inside the bell housing using a finishing nail as a drift.
(See attached pix).

Here’s my situation: I have one of the scroll seal inserts, and I can have it machined to accept a lip seal. This will cost me $25.
However, anytime I have to use a machinist, I am taking a chance on their expertise. (I have found that machinists often talk more about their capabilities than they actually possess.)

So, 1) does anyone have an insert sitting around (or have a scrap bellhousing from which you can pull out the insert) -- shipping a whole steel bellhousing has to cost more than the insert itself?
2) would you sell the insert to me for the cost of me getting mine machined ($25), to include shipping to 40165?

Thanks.

Attachments:
Slide1.jpg    58.2 KB
Slide1.jpg

Slide5.JPG    50.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
1 Scroll insert in bellhousing.jpg    37.4 KB
2 scroll insert - remove pin-1.jpg    45.5 KB
3a scroll insert backside - remove pin-2.jpg    33.7 KB
4 scroll insert.jpg    11.3 KB
. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster