Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Steptoe1950 Avatar
Steptoe1950 John L
Kilsyth South, Melbourne, Australia   AUS
Hi All Prewar Triumph enthusiasts.I thought I would share a couple of photos of a 1936 Dolomite 2 litre special.
The car was built by Mr Keith Werner of South Australia.He built the car 65 years ago and over the years has travelled over 600 Thousand miles in his creation.Keith contacted me recently and offered me the car as he was moving to an aged care facility.I ended up purchasing the car as well as his life long collection of spare parts.
Here starts my dilemma,do I rebuild the car as an original type body or do I respect the history and keep the body as it is today. At this stage we are considering keeping the style but improving the execution of the body work.
In his own words ,he built the car with a cold chisel and a hammer!
What do people with experience in specials think,rebuild or keep the history.
By the way the car as it is drives beautifully and is mechanically in great condition and I think would make a great 2 litre special in the style of Triumph sports models of the 30s.
Steptoe 1950

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpg    37.1 KB
image.jpg

image.jpg    58 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
That car all by itself is a unique bit of history. I'd keep it as is and get the history in writing from the horse's mouth while you can.

MonAndrew77 Avatar
MonAndrew77 Andrew M
Northern, Virginia, USA   USA
I tend to agree.

How rare is the car in it's stock form?

For my two cents, the PO is basically a "custom coachbuilder" of sorts. All cars have a story, somehow to erase this car's story and return it to its original form seems wrong. If it were a rotted-out carcass, that would be one thing, but look how cool it is!

It's like the original Batmobile. And that was built on a rare one-off design show car, if memory serves. Would it be right to return it to that state? And in that case, at least you could argue it was originally a rare thing.

For me, I would leave it as it is and document it's unique history, especially if these are available in stock form elsewhere....

Andrew

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Scooter54 Avatar
Scooter54 Bob Johnson
Bethesda, Maryland, USA   USA
Angelo

I sent you a PM about this car.

Steptoe1950 Avatar
Steptoe1950 John L
Thanks all for your opinions,I think you have convinced me to carry out a sympathetic restoration keeping the original features of his creation.
I have the full history of the car with various news clippings,letters and a collection of photos over the years.
I will post photos of the restoration when I get around to it ,later this year.
This is actually the most economic alternative given the fact that I don't have any body parts to make an original sports body.
The design that I would like the car to resemble is in the attached photo.
John Le

Attachments:
image.jpg    26.3 KB
image.jpg

angelo1 Avatar
angelo1 angelo vdr
eindhoven, nb, Netherlands   NLD
In reply to # 1342195 by Scooter54 Angelo

I sent you a PM about this car.

you have an email

Steptoe1950 Avatar
Steptoe1950 John L
Hi Angelo, I did not receive an email,please check my address from my profile.
Regards John L
l

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Triumph Spitfire 4 MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links